Friday, February 10, 2012

the post doc scenario in a toxic environment

Every once in awhile I get surprised... Reading 27andapostdoc.com  where the toxic get to you somehow, and when three of my post-doc collegues talk about this "new post-doc or technician" who has started in their lab... and all of a sudden the lab dynamic changes. One of my post doc friends told me a few months ago that the new one had talked badly about her to the old ones in the lab...

The second one I'm thinking about, they didn't get re-newed by their PI so they were looking for a new post-doc place while their spouse was employed by the same PI. Messy situation to say the least...

Third, the post-doc didn't get re-newed but their spouse in another lab did. And I met with them to talk about future, and in the end I said "it's all about what you as a couple decide to do, if you're future ia brighter than theirs"... and i may sounds harsh, I know that, but seriously, that's the problem, isn't it?

It's the festering pain that happens. The one that leaves some at "point of no return"... I should and probably will, write something more profound about it, but right now,  I'm stuck with repeating "at least I knew what I signed up for". And yes, I think there is something more there, but right now - it's a bit of a blank..

1 comment:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

The change in lab dynamic can go both ways. I've heard second-hand about a lab that had a reputation for being messy, sloppy and lazy. A new student joined who had a phenomenal work ethic and did very good, methodical and precise work; my friend who worked in the next lab worried that the newbie would get dragged down to the lab's level, but in fact everyone else raised their games to match the new student's standards!

Sorry you're continuing to deal with other people's drama :(