Thursday, February 16, 2012

evangeeelizing.. or mentoring.. whatever to call it... :)

It's one of those first things one of my American friends told me. "You're really evangelizing at Saturday night*". And I was scared. Not only because I don't want to talk about religion/beliefs with people (hey, I'm Swedish, we keep it close to heart and it's all about you in private) but it was an odd statement to me.

Then I rehashed many of my conversations out on a Saturday night and got a little apprehensive. You see, I usually end up talking about a few things when I'm out.... politics ("so, that GOP debate yesterday, what did you think about that?"), religion (I believe in something but I'm not sure about this pope thing... ), motherhood (no, it's not that I don't want a child, I just got divorced and never had one before that), science (no, vaccinations don't cause autism, it's more complicated that that), or just How about those Leafs since they've sucked so much lately (not tonight since they blissfully won against the Oilers!).

However, most of these conversations end with me saying things trying to sound more even keeled... and being more reasonable... and then to my surprise some things have happened.

First, a person responded to the "sure enough, let's talk about this science thing and have coffee". Second, another one wanted me as her mentor since she's in grad school. Third, I got an invitation for a conference and to talk about "being a female scientist". Fourth, which I'm sort of not counting in the science department but it counts here where I live, I had three people show up at church on a Sunday since "I had told them this church was open to gay and being women friendly" - to which I'm feeling way more uncomfortable than I've ever thought I would... I am not an evangelizing person. I don't believe in mission. (that's makes me a bad Christian if you wonder. I know. But I don't do mission stuff. I just live my life. And hope to live it well.)

So, in the next few weeks I'm meeting with some people who apparently think I am a good person to talk about science and careers, and to mentor people :)

And this all happened on Valentine's day. The day that started with me going "I'm not all interested in public display of emotions" and my thoughts on the worth and diamonds etc... and the day ending with me getting flowers sent to my work place, which made me blush for many hours, and a nice dinner.... I mean, I really didn't ask for it, not expect it. But I guess I'm sort of a hypocrite since I liked it? But to be fair, it wasn't too many dollars involved and no ring :) And the man in question didn't believe me when I said "I've never gotten flowers delivered to work before". Ha, there's a first thing for everything - even if your old as I am :)

*the joke was that some of my friends who go to church every Sunday stated that I went out Saturday night and drank beer. My response to the awkwardness was to say "well, I'm telling them that I'm due in church the next morning so it's not all lost"... I was sort of trying to make it less weird... alas... things move in strange ways...

2 comments:

Nina said...

hahaha, sounds like someone knew how to surprise you without the diamonds really well!

Nevertheless, I was really really glad to be away from modern communication the weeks before Valentine's day. The diamond stuff is repulsive. I like your analogy of brainwashing. It is.

chall said...

Nina: It was a really interesting experience. I'm not good with attention and many of my colleagues noticed and smiled at me, while I blushed :)

As for the other thing, sometimes I think someone knows me better than I do myself ^^