Sunday, January 08, 2012

The old year is over - Happy New Year!

A little late, as one could think it would be with a fairly busy time between Jul (Christmas) and visiting friends and family... I guess a short re-cap of 2011 in words of myself and the blog posts I wrote... And a little thought and dream about what 2012 will bring.


January: The Editorial in BMJ tells it all (I'm referring to the autism-vaccine-Wakefield story)

February: I found out a while back that the mother of one of my friends was released from the hospital since "there was nothing more they could do, the chemo didn't work"

March: It’s always interesting to me that I might be one of those patients.

April: "Predicting one's chances of developing a genetic condition, is like finding a penny in the ocean." To quote Dr Reed, the prodigy doctor in the TV series Criminal Minds.

May: I've been thinking a bit about reconciliation

June: I think Lava will beat me in the last and final round.... (in regards to hockey and the Stanley Cup)

July: sunset during one of those lovely weekends away from the city.... :)

August: One of the major things I talked about during my mentoring session at The Big Conference (TBC) where they had asked me to participate in their mentoring program as a mentor* turned out to be small talk. 

September:  things that happen in vegas... ...stay in Vegas... maybe the same in other places? (aka "across the ocean in far-away-country") :)

October: I was the one who said the strange words a while back... "so, we're doing this study starting then and there. Oh, I guess there will be no Thanksgiving holiday then."

November: Imagine a weekday evening, "little Saturday", and you meet up with a friend for a drink

December: It's that thing about secrets. You all of a sudden get them, from someone else - or you make something that you want to keep a secret - and then they tend to haunt you.


Looking at the entries I guess I need to write more about science and less about my "feelings"? It's been a little harder to do that considering that I'm now behind a slight wall of "industry science" but I'm sure I can write things about science in general and less "venting about the difficulties and challenges I meet at work", if I just focus a little more.

As for my dreams and hopes for 2012, I have a few. Mainly to continue getting in shape, last year I ended up about 30 pounds lighter than 15 months earlier, and I'm hoping this year to reach that famous "BMI is well within normal range for a woman your age" or as I like to think of it "run 10 km in less than 60 mins" and "fit into size 8/10 and feel comfortable in a bikini" (maybe not as great as a goal, but it's achievable for me). I will also try and get to work earlier in the day, and work out at least 1 morning a week. And continue to stay happy and content with life - since I've felt great in that department this fall with all the regular work outs, social time with friends, some social/community work and work achievements* (and some alone time of course).

All in all, I'll see where I end up but as for now - it's with good hope and energy I'm starting out with 2012! Happy New Year!

*I got a stunning review and a pay increase and some thoughts about future, which made me proud and happy. Now, I just have to see if it pans out as 'promised' or 'planned' in a few months... fingers crossed.





5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Sounds like you had a great year! Congratulations on the review and raise! I always find the "venting about the difficulties and challenges I meet at work" posts interesting :)

chall said...

Alyssa> Thank you! It's nice to know that someone likes the venting posts. I have a feeling that they might be fairly universal and general really ;)

The bean-mom said...

Happy New Year! My congrats too on your review and raise! And there's nothing wrong with feelings and venting posts...

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Happy belated new year - I'm still catching up on blog posts etc. It sounds like you had an amazing year - congratulations on all fronts! I hope 2012 is awesome for you and yours too :)

p.s. is it still possible for you to do the hockey pool update? I forgot to remind you - sorry - so it will either be a wee bit late OR a two-week update after Friday's games :)

chall said...

BeanMom: thanks! good to know some ppl like those venting things ;)

FrauTech> thanks, I'll look into that meme...hm, 15 friends...

Cath> eh, I forgot! I can do update. It will most likely be a two wee3k thingy *sheepish smile*