Friday, January 27, 2012

I really shouldn't...

...continue on this political/religious discussion but sometimes my head hurts and this article in the Huffingtonpost is a "quick summary" about something that's been going on for a while in the state of TN. Not only making it illegal to talk about homosexuality (actually, it's making it legal only to talk about heterosexual relationships between one man and one woman) in the school class room, but drawing it a little further in regards to bullying and "punishment for bullying someone based on their sexual orientation" (that you can't mention).

The father of one of the teens* who killed himself last year was in the Tennessee Senate two days ago to give a speech that it might look like condoning beating up gay children in schools if they passed the legislation and that his son was bullied for being gay, then taking his own life.

As I said before, I can't vent at work but this makes me very upset and I haven't gotten it worked out in my head yet... the whole "it's against my beliefs that you can openly express being homosexual" and to turn that into "it's understandable that you [as a real heterosexual and true person] would feel attacked when people walk around openly homosexual in front of you, taunting your beliefs" and turning it into "therefore it is understandable you [as a real heterosexual and true person] feel the urge of name calling and/or beating them [the homosexuals/abominations]".

If you think I'm overexpressing, just take a look at the videos from the Senate floor when the bill was discussed. ther are some gems there. Like "there wouldn't be homosexuals around if we didn't make it ok to live the life style". Of course not. "they" wouldn't be open with it. "they" would hide it. But I'd be damned if I thought that meant "they don't exist".

Then of course, I might be completely wrong. And going to hell. And not understanding that Jesus did say "love others as you love yourself" - no disclaimers there. Just "others". HA. Deal with that, hypocrites.


*teens who comitted suicide, indicated that they were bullied and harassed based on their sexual orientation. The Congress in Texas, I think it was?, dealt with it slightly differently when a member stood up and read about how he as a teen had contemplated suicide since it was "obviuos that so many people viewed him as an abomination"...

4 comments:

Barefoot Doctoral said...

Remember this gem from Ahmadinejad about no having homosexuals in Iran?

I despair for parts of our country sometimes. Stay strong in the heartland.

chall said...

you know, there are so many stupid things arising lately so I'm not sure on what to think anymore...

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Ugh. What a painful load of ignorant hate. How many more kids need to kill themselves before the message starts to get through to these blinkered people?

chall said...

Cath> I really don't know. I am a little surprised that it's sort of looking like the hate idea is ok and encouraged. I guess I had higher hopes for mankind?! (being slightly pretentious sometimes ^^)