Thursday, September 08, 2011

things that happen in vegas...

...stay in Vegas... maybe the same in other places? (aka "across the ocean in far-away-country") :)

Random pieces from the last couple of days left me with a very interesting night mare the night to last. Not only involving lots of people I've met with but also fairly commonly known stressors as "not being dressed enough in public" and "babies screaming and creating panic" ... not to mention people being angry and upset with (dream)me. Very realistic to me, and I had to think about it for a second when I woke up - if it was real or not. All in all, a great relaxing night for my brain I'm sure.

Then there are those times where I feel oddly giggling. as when I left one friend from one of the poshest addresses in town in a cab to go to another friend in a not-so-posh (read "poor") part of town to pick up a bag and hang out a bit. Odd, yes. Both are really good friends of mine. But oh so different lives they live....

And the oddest questions yet; "...So, are you married, having a boy friend, single or?? And by the way, do you have any siblings?" It's not illegal in a work related interview, but not appropriate... but who am I to say?

Weather wise it's interesting; one day 85F and sunny, the other rain and 55F and windy.... and my jogging shoes are not good at keeping water out ^^

I'm looking forward to the football Sunday - I can watch it from the living room!! All in all, awesome times - if not a little tiresome with all meetings, networking and friends and family.... but oh so nice!

7 comments:

Nina said...

they asked you in a job interview about siblings?!?! That is soo weird. The other things are sort of very inappropriate to ask, but it happens. But siblings?!

chall said...

Nina: I thought so too. It was a whole thing about it in my head but since I'm the way I am I answered, with a smile, and kept going...

Would it make it less or more strange if I told you that I had state if I thought I could write in my native language "since I've been living abroad for so long"?? hmm....

Nina said...

I guess that makes it less strange ... If you correspond with your siblings in your native language, they can judge better whether you still actively use it???
I know that one can get a bit slower in one;s native language after a while abroad, however, I think no one ever forgets how to write it. Do you really want this job? (do you want to go back to native country?)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

You're at job interviews across the ocean in far-away country? Or am I misunderstanding?

chall said...

Nina: I thought most of those types of questions were... slightly odd... but still, I answered. As for the "native language knowledge" that it's fairly obvious when talking and reading stuff I write that I'm good at it.

It's more an odd native thing about "why would you want to move back if you're in US now?" - although, 'everyone' knows native country is the best in the world. ^^

chall said...

Cath: Had to try... options and keeping doors open etc. Not that I'm good at that but it seems to be the thing to do.

(Lots of secrecy of course. Nothing in the open. Just lots of things happening and a slight want of alternatives...)

Sirius Scientist said...

Sorry I've been away for so long, but I'm glad you're doing well! This is Science Bear, but I figured after graduating and working for more than a year now, I should change things up and test drive a new name on a new blog. Thanks for the email, sorry it took me so long to reply (hadn't checked that account in a LONG time).