Tuesday, November 29, 2011

responding to email after midnight...

... I wonder what they will say tomorrow (today rather) since I've answered emails regarding tomorrow now (almost 00.30 where I'm at)? ;)

Interesting. If nothing else, it goes to show that I might be a slightly later person getting into work in the morning (not at 7 am as some of my coworkers) but then again, I seldom leave before 5.30-6pm... (read often after 6.30 pm) and read email at home when I'm trying to wake up at 7 am... wonders of email, right?

What's your work place policy?

(As for me, I've been realising that sometimes my response email is sent at "a strange time" to what others seem to think is "appropriate time" although I usually don't think about when I read my work email and respond. Well, I guess a few times it's been deliberate since I've been stuck working late and therefore to prove (yeas, I know the silly assumption here) that i've actually - GASP - been working outside of the thought of 7am -6pm hours....)

5 comments:

Julie @ Bunsen Burner Bakery said...

Our general policy for email responding is that it should be done before the start of business the next day, but whether you want to reply at midnight or 7am is up to you.

I used to be in lab well before anyone else, before 6am every day, but over the past year or so, my hours have drastically changed -- now I usually wander in around 9:30 or 10, and stay until 8 or 9. I've learned that whether I get out of lab at 6 or at 10, I have no interest in doing work from home for the rest of the evening; my time is my time. However, I have no problem getting out of bed and spending a few hours doing work from home in my pajamas, so I've switched around my schedule to accommodate this.

I agree with the occasional deliberate email to show you're working even when no one else is around, though...

chall said...

Yes, I would think that the "it should be done before the start of business the next day" style is the "unofficial thing". Although, at my present place it's more of the "the earlier the better you are" [might have to do with many parents driving their kids to school - start 7 am!]

I don't mind reading the emails and do work in the morning, just not around people... and happily at home ;) Obviously no lab stuff there.

It's silly with the email, since you can send it from home but it's still something to 'prove' you are working ^^

BTW, haven't read the Strain yet. Have it on my bedtable and hope to get to it this weekend...

Nina said...

I don't think we have a policy for emails, at least not one that people strictly follow.
Also because we're on the other side of the world and well ahead of everyone, my emails are always at crazy times for people from abroad ...
I do get emails from my advisor at times when I am either sleeping or doing something else with my life, but I have made the rule for myself that I don't check my work emails on the weekend. The weekend is MINE.
When there is no labwork involved I am very much a 9-5 person.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I don't think we have any policy on emails either - some people reply immediately, others seem to save them up and reply in batches!

I usually work from about 9:30am - 6pm, give or take 20 minutes, although some times I have early meetings. Of course, if I come in at 8:15 I never seem to manage to leave early; I just stay until my usual leaving time!

It's so much nicer than in my last job, where if I showed up at 9:02 I'd get told off about it...

chall said...

See, this : Of course, if I come in at 8:15 I never seem to manage to leave early; I just stay until my usual leaving time

would be why I don't really like to try and be in "early" since I always end up leaving after 6 pm anyway.... "there's always something to do, right?"