Monday, November 28, 2011

I'm missing

I really miss those times when I could vent science questions with my friends and co-workers (ok, post-docs and grad students and other scientific community ppl). It seems like those days have passed... or at leat deminished a lot. People are either too busy or not interested... not to mention the confidentiality problem for me to say something specific to "no one special" or here....

But I remember the times with coffee or a beer (or two), sitting and talking, moving from subject to subject - passing fast through some thoughts, lingering on others... and getting ideas... and more often than not, re-enforcements that "no, you're not lazy, it's just not that fast to investigate that questions" or "resolving that validation will take time".

Today is one of those days, it would've been so nice to step out of the office and go for a scientific beer and a good science venting. Alas, my circle is smaller, many have family and lives before holidays, responsibilities outside of work etc so I think the venting will have to be me in the gym..... and my head trying to see the answers of way too many questions to be answered in only a few days. Good thing I have time after work out to write summaries and suggestions, sleep on it and move from there tomorrow. Maybe an earlier phone call to across the Atlantic will do the trick? If nothing else, head tends to clear up after work out.

2 comments:

Nina said...

we're in sync Chall, I recently missed that same thing. People at my work seem too nice for the kind of venting I sometimes need ("this idea is ridiculous! I am going crazy! Blaaah!") And most have children and everybody goes straight home. Oh well. Excercise is always great ...

chall said...

Nina> Yea, exercise might be good but venting does have a spot in there too... I ended up on the phone with a friend in another time zone, which always is an interesting "day/time shift" comparison. They were very good on the venting and suggesting some stuff so!

Now, i'll might start working on finding at least another one in town for a irl beer ;)