Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Too fast, too slow – just not proper timing

Sometimes I wonder why people bother with scheduling a “time for deliverance” if they have no intention of keeping it, nor use it. Lately there have been some snafus both in my private life as work environment… for example; say that you order something online and the delivery time is estimated 10-14 days…. But in reality it’s dropped off outside your door* after 3 days, on a Friday … and that you might not be home all weekend but there is no parcel when you get home Sunday. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to get premium shipping for the same price as “standard”. However, now I’m left with nothing at all since I don’t have a parcel to show. Only hope would be that some kind neighbors took the parcel in order to give it to me later (insert “that’s not that likely”smile). But sure, it’s not their fault since I should be happy it arrived earlier than expected… I’m just that person who would something like 3-14 days since it is apparently possible for that?! And before you ask, since it was the “standard shipping” it shouldn’t have required a signature as receiving…

The other thing would be slightly more costly (after all, what’s a ‘bridal party gown’ compared to precious protein? Nothing really). So, if you are shipping things on ice in the hot summer… and you want the compound to remain frozen and not semi-thawed or completely thawed… I wouldn’t recommend sending it on a Friday without a courier and proof of pick up/delivery. I certainly wouldn’t pack it on ice, leave it in the “postal room for shipment” and assume someone is picking it up on a Friday afternoon to deliver it to the recipients on a Saturday…. And especially not if you didn’t contact the recipients and let them know that there will be a sensitive parcel arriving on a Saturday in a long weekend when many people take the chance to take off 3 days in a row. I guess the only ‘less bad thing’ was that since the delivery failed on the back end the recipients didn’t have to pay for not receiving it, but the compound is wasted and destroyed. 3 days in a non-climate controlled area with dry ice that’s evaporating would do that to something that needs to be frozen before immediate use.

Ah well, lucky it was an alternative dress on sale so in reality it's not a disaster but still, it would be nice to get what you pay for.... I guess I'll knock on some doors later on and see if someone might have caught it?

If nothing else, I still need to reschedule the fitting for another bridal party gown (thankfully this one is not online but in a real store) since I clearly lost my mind and scheduled an appointment for Wednesday 6.30 pm. The huge problem with that? The final game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals starts at 7 pm…. Yeah…. Not the best timing ;) Now, where is that phone…

*sometimes this happens, rather than bringing it back to the postal office/delivery van/somewhere else, the parcel is left on the porch/right outside the front door... it's all fine if you are arriving home within an hour or so but a weekend.... unattended.... in this town? ehh..... not so likely...

2 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Ugh, what a pain in the behind.

I've had Amazon deliver stuff to me on a Friday when I've been away for a long weekend, but luckily I came home to find it still there (and this was the 7th Harry Potter book, which I pre-ordered and received on the day it was published - my neighbours are clearly very honest people!).

When I worked for a biotech company, we NEVER shipped anything on a Friday if it required any refrigeration at all. Even some Thursday shipments had problems. If you ship anything on any kind of regular basis, you learn these things pretty quickly!

I hope things change for the better soon!

chall said...

well, tbh - the protein shipment didn't hurt me, it was more of an example of things that build some my frustration at time.

The dress...well... it's in the email thingy of "them" telling me if they will try and resend something they've already shipped but I never received?! Not to mention that i am going into the store to buy more (expensive) dress for the actual thing (aka wedding) ;) we'll see...

As for the shipping thing, I'd agree with you in regards of shipping Thurs and Frid (as in no no). We never ship anything apart from mon, tue and wed... with correct shipment documents and signatures nonetheless.