Saturday, June 18, 2011

sleep on it

It's funny that I can keep going and have things to do every day, weekend and the weeks just go by in a blur... and then when I stop and reflect - say in a hotel room at a conference in another town where I'm alone - I notice how drained I am and how much I needed that time away from the regular tempo. And then, while mentoring people who are "younger in their careers than me", I realised that I have actually learned a lot through the years. And more surprisingly to me, others seem to like to get advice, suggestions and thoughts from me about things like career and life in general.

Nothing earth shattering of course, but it is good to look at yourself from the outside at times and remember that even if I think my life is pretty messy and not successful, others might find some minor things as acheivements .... and that I should really be more happy with what I've accomplished and where I have ended up in life (both physically and mentally really).

It's like the old "sleep on it" and let the dream world sort out the thoughts you might have and see it from another view - and the world is much clearer afterwards.

Now, it's only up to me to try and do some of all the things on my list, since my day off have left it painfully obvious to me that my home is in sore need of a cleaning, as well as my thoughts. Nothing like a little good alone time to get things in perspective :)

2 comments:

starbellysneetch said...

I'm sure you are a great mentor.

Time goes by so fast. I want to just pause it like I can pause a movie. That's what I was trying to do with my post on last day of school. Just want to experience it as much as possible.

Thank heavens for blogging and blog friends.

chall said...

Dr Sneetch: Thanks! I do think I was able to give some tidbits that may or may not help out. I was just happy that I went with it and said yes when asked since I thought - for a bit - "oh, who me? helping? hu..." ;)

If you sort out the pausing I'd be the first in line to make that happen since it certainly seems like time flies. I guess there is something in there about "the older you get, the ratio of a year to your lived years is diminishing".....