Monday, December 15, 2014

12 days of Christmas - Day 2: being a happy team member

One of the more challenging part of my new job is the constant team work and working with all these different people in different constellations. I knew that coming in, that was one of my caveats with the whole work. It was a little scary, I won't lie, but I looked over my various career options and all were involving people and dealing with them.

I've spent many days and years smiling at people saying "I chose working with microbes since I'm not great working with people". I loved the alone bench work where I got to plan my own work, carry it out, analyze it and make it all on my schedule. The microbes don't talk back. You can treat them fairly roughly and they still give you what you want. With people, not so much (unless you are on the top of the food chain - more on that another time).

However, last couple of months I had to remind myself not to say"I'm not great working with people" anymore. No need to get people on the wrong side when you are trying to manage them (or just make them all happy). I've also found that it's not true. Either I had some skills, or I've improved my people skills a lot lately. (I think it is a little of both.)

One of the best way of thinking at working with people and adapt to their style (since to be honest, it's mostly about me adapting into their style and working from there, not everyone is as interested in "working with everyone") is to accept that this will help "doing the work the most efficiently". Give up a little ego, get more done faster. Or so I tell myself :)

I'll end this day as yesterday - with one of those posters that I won't put up at work but we project managers talk about since that's a good way to vent some frustrations every so often.

Until tomorrow!

despair.com

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Funny what skills emerge when we have to use them :)

That poster is GOLD. It certainly fits my life in the sense I have to do group work in some of my classes.

chall said...

Yes, isn't it? I think that they were there a lot before though, just not needed them as much since it was all data driven. Now it's much more politics and getting people to feel that there making an important contribution etc. some days I get home and I'm just wiped out on smiles and extrovert