Tuesday, November 14, 2006

wives and their purpose...and goals

I recalled a conversation a few days back when I read the interesting, yet enormously sad, article The corporate wives’ club by Vicky Ward in The Financial Times.

A random quote just to being about the thing I recalled
."She needs, above all, to understand The Deal. The Deal is that her life is about one thing only: him. She must be there at the end of the day, looking good, drink in hand, ready to pleasure him with witty conversation or in other ways. If not, she will be sacked. And since she will not have entered this relationship without having signed a pre-nuptial agreement, she knows exactly how she will be sacked and what assets she will be left with."

The conversation I recalled was more about the fact that I find it hard not to generalise and say "It is hard for a female PhD to find men that aren't threatened by the degree [ambition and determination]" as well as 'why would you marry a scientist with her own agenda and lots of work since even if you would like the family, the woman should be home'. I guess that is my first mistake. I wanted to have a family as well as a job. Not to say that I would like never to be home with my kids and only pursue my own career, gosh no, but (and this is the infamous but) I would like to have a job that I like and be able to share the responsibility of children with my husband. This is all a hypothetical argument at the time but still... paternity leave back home is 14 months shared by both mother and father so... the option is still huge and possible. Still, it is a mom’s world, even with the option... so either society has rules that will not be shifted too fast, or biology is a very strong thing that can not be overruled by silly thoughts of certain career hungry women.

Anyway, the other comment I have been brooding for a shorter while is that it is still considered to be a male thing, this sex need/drive . Same conversation, between two men, going on about the "need you have after a few months/weeks alone"... well... let me tell you a secret, not only you can have that. Women do to. The question, of which I am not going to tell ‘the answer’ or ‘the truth’, would rather be if women are less likely to "live the urge" than the men, since they can not hide behind the comfortable "I have needs you know, I am a man".


And I have this nagging feeling that this will be another of those things men do not really want to know. (Like the conversation a few while about what women say and what men say about the other gender… women are apparently more explicit than men when it comes down to it. Men tend not to want to discuss the whole ‘does size matter’. Most women I know don’t want to talk about their size or what men think about their size either… but that is of course another size.)


Going back to the article, it is on of those things that I am wondering about for real. What turn these men on? Personally I have a little problem finding a very handsome, yet nonambitious, nonworking, non-‘I have my own thing’ non-whatever self, that attractive and he wouldn’t really be my first choice in the marriage issue. I prefer men (one man) that have their own agenda, yet are interested in building something with me and can be vulnerable with me as well as the strong one to take care of me in case that happens… more of the “two can play that game” rather than one fixed role in the relationship. On the other hand, I am just going to shut up now. Obviously I have somewhat of a thing going on so maybe my need/wanting is just non-feasible?! I’ll leave this with this.

I do not, honestly, think that a relationship will ever be good for both individuals if the power is solely with one person, i.e. like the corporate wives thing, simply because I can not understand where the safety and trust would build on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I'm trying to come up with something that addresses a related issue - you hear a lot about women who have a career and a family and how they've battled to make it, etc. (and usually they've got well-off parents and easy childcare. . .) but I want to turn it around.

I *should* be the career-minded male scientist publishing lots and leading a group at my age, but I also, damnit, want to see my children grow up and be there for them, as well as for my wife. The thing of working late and weekends, well, what's that going to do to me as a father and husband? Yes, what I do for a living is important but what balance do I need to find?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and just seen this:

http://humans.scienceboard.net/archives/2006/11/13/216/

chall said...

I can see that you are frustrated about it, and yes it is a double sided sword we are talking about. Sorry, for being so introvert and only being annoyed at the moment about the female situation but still, I find it very disturbing that this "equality" thing has been so ... distorted? And that women in academia are that few... ah well, I need to write another post about it. Saw the grant application thingy in Swe telling that they know they are mistreating female scientists... but still won't do anything about it... eh.. I'll leave it for another post.

Thanks for the link. Found another one> http://bitchphd.blogspot.com/2006/11/opting-outs-shitty-option.html