Wednesday, August 24, 2011

decision making

A few weeks ago I went to training - hiring training - and a few of the comments there got me thinking about "gut feeling" and being a scientist. Or maybe more to the point, gut feeling and my basis of decision making (as a scientist). I would think that most of my training in grad school was "it doesn't matter what you think/feel but what the data tells you", aka "override gut feeling until you have data dots to prove it". That is; that gut feeling is fine, but you really need data to support it - otherwise it isn't "true" but "just a feeling" and that’s not valid until you can prove it.

Then when you interview people for a position, sometimes your gut goes "Hm, it doesn't feel all right here" ... and then my brain tells me to override the feeling until I find the reason (cause) of my feeling*. And after that I can make a decision. At the training though, many people did voice that gut feeling was the way to go, "after all, gut feeling tells you something that your brain might not recognize in words but transforming into a feeling" ... but unless I get the brain to tell me what it is, I am not comfortable with making a decision based on my feeling. Why? Probably because I think that if there is a valid feeling I would know what I based it on and therefore rule out the bias “I really like X so I’ll go with gut feeling on that and miss the data that tells me something else too”.

Like if I get results from an experiment and it doesn’t really look what I thought but gut tells me that there is something interesting there. What to do? Go and retry it and see if the result is the same yet again, if it is… data is data, right? (Hm) Or the experiment is not the right one?

Another thing that was pointed out to me during the training was "past behaviour predicts future behaviour". As in, you ask the interviewees about what they did at a certain time to know what they what they may (probably) do in the future. I understand the thinking but it goes against part of my beliefs that people can change and that what happened before might not be what happens in the future but sure…

In short, I left the training thinking a little too much about what to base my decisions on and if I trust my gut feeling or not. Especially since a few ones I’ve made in the past based on “gut feeling” turned out not the best ones, whereas most of the decisions based on “facts” and “data dots” (aka ‘list technique’) have turned out more favourable. Of course, I might only remember the bad gut feeling decisions (since they ended up fairly badly) and not take into account all the “regular happy ones” I’ve made – but I’m not too sure.

I’m revisiting this decision making basis again now because there are a few doors opening and I am going to have to make a few decisions in the near future. And it’s not as easy as saying choose yes or no for door B, then move over to door W and say aye or nay etc… No, rather it is “if you choose door B, door W will not be an option anymore” as in “it’s opting out of one thing when choosing the other”; and that leads me to have to weigh in a lot of other factors in my thinking and gut feeling is apparently one of them… If it would’ve been an experiment I would’ve made n=3 and see what the outcomes were and choose accordingly. However, I wonder if I should think of this round of choices as the last in a series or if it is an independent test altogether – no previous action will indicate the outcome…. Or just solving it all like the Gordian knot?

I know for sure that the option a friend of mine offered is a definite no though. After all; “just accidently close door W and then decide if you want the other doors” is not my style of things… even if it would be so much easier for this decision process … I guess I will know more in a few weeks… either or.



*I honestly think this would be one of the reasons I stayed through some harder things since I have decided that I don't care what I feel, I'll finish the task and then care about the "feeling" ... maybe I'm just too stubborn?

7 comments:

unknown said...

It sounds like a very interesting training session. I think intuition is important especially when it comes to people but it doesn't mean you can't have an open mind.

chall said...

yes, it's that word though "intuition" and mixing it with "gut feeling" that I think makes it hard for me sometimes... ^^

Massimo said...

One of the things that bother me the most, as I age, is having to accept that my "gut" gets it right way more often than my brain -- and that is in spite of education, experience and data.

And yes, job interviews are the best example. As a candidate, I talked to a number of people on search committees, conversations were virtually identical, and yet at the end of the interview my gut knew exactly who was in favor of my hire and who was against it -- and it always turned out that my gut called it right.
My brain was just left with the task of understanding how the heck my gut knew in the first place.

lin said...

I have had these trainings as well, and the bottom line is that I should have trusted my gut more, and be less stubborn looking for facts. If I had trusted my gust my PhD trajectory would have gone different. I just could not find any proven facts that stuff was going wrong. While deep inside I know I knew back then. Now, I am trying to decide whether to stay or leave science. Guts say I do not want to move around all over the globe to prove I can do science. While as a fact I know I like science and sciency things.
One thing I learned from my coaching is that I should pay attention to my gut, and my stomach and my eyes. If my eyes don't get all shiny and starry, and my body isn't that excited, pay attention to guts. Cause, even though I HATE to admit: my guts have been right a lot of times...

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I'm also getting better at trusting my gut as I get older. I hope to one day be as good as my Dad, who has (sometimes very annoyingly) been right about every single boyfriend I've ever had. The only two he's ever liked are my husband, and the guy I dated when I was 16-17 who is now the only one of my ex-boyfriends I'm still friends with. If I could learn to apply this level of intuition to all other aspects of my life, I'd be a very happy woman :)

Anonymous said...

I'm really late with this comment, but I think relying on gut feeling for hiring people is dangerous since it can introduce (unconscious) bias along the lines of "this person looks really good on paper but is too brown-skinned/female/gay/whatever so I rather take the straight white guy even if he looks less good on paper." So IMO it is really important to back up your gut feelings with actual data, to stop your own unconscious biases (which we all have) from influencing your decisions this way.

chall said...

Anonymous: Yes, that would be exactly my feeling. Have to find what causes the gut feeling in order to go for it.