Wednesday, December 29, 2010

(non science) update inbtw holiday one and two....

I might not really call it holiday but.... hmm... "the time you spend a lot of time moving in between places meeting ppl, eating more food than you want, sleeping odd times and talking* constantly. *doesn't have to be you talking, "engaged in conversation" might be more on spot with what I mean.

I am tired at the moment, the sort of wouldn't mind a vacation from the catching up on holidays that  I am currently enjoying. It's been a few things keeping my mind working in over time even at night, when the rest of my body wants to sleep.

These constant questions; i.e. also known as "what are you going to be when you grow up" but now masked as "so, when are you moving home**?" or "you're not getting any younger you know"*** and "you're over there since you make a lot of money there, right?"****

And then a few of those "the old - they're old now" and I am not really sure on what to make of it. It sometimes breaks my heart. One thing is for sure though, you can't change other people. And old people are set in their ways. (Doesn't make for a wonderful relaxing concept all the time though ;) )

But I can play in the snow, sleep in some mornings, read lots of news papers in native language and maybe in the end feel a little less confused when I embark on the flight back to where my home is now. I have some thoughts on the post doc experience, the city to move to, the disappointments of failure, the confusion of uncertainty and other things like that.

Although, right now I will go back to the glögg and the saffronbuns and rest a little before the next "visiting with family and friends" start tomorrow again.

Happy New Years in advance! (the internet is splotchy.....)

** home = place where I was born, or country I was born in... or any place where they are - not necessarily where I have much conncetion. The saying would be "anywhere were you are closed so you can get 'home' to us more often. Often typed in with other comments as "we haven't seen you in ages" even when these things are a bit embarrassing obvious when others, who live in the same country, haven't been visiting either.... so... distance might not be the key thing, but rather interest to travel or making the effort rather....

*** want to venture a guess what this is about? Didn't think so. It's a bit more complicated than I care to venture into here... but I'm getting to a point where I wonder if I am the insane one. One person did in all honesty tell me that "going out on a Friday would solve it all and no need to worry afterwards".

**** again, it might have been a good paying gig once in a year like in the 80ies. Nowadays I am getting less or equal pay than people over here (and less social security and sick leave etc) but I ... HAVE a job.. and I got a job when I moved... again, it's apparently very hard to explain to some people.

8 comments:

Genomic Repairman said...

Happy New Years Chall and safe travels.

Silver Fox said...

Oh, the joys (and not) of holidays with family. The glögg and the saffronbuns sound good, at least!

***If it's what I think it is, it would seem to me to be no one else's business.

Unbalanced Reaction said...

I don't know about you, but I always need a holiday from my winter "holiday." Happy 2011!

chall said...

GR> Thanks! I'm hoping for being able to travel back without problems... i.e. no snow.

SilverFox> Glögg is awesome! And yes, I'd think it's private business but then again, everyone wants to share the joy. (and again, it's not that I don't want to have any - it's just that maybe, just maybe, there is some sort of context needed and not wanting to elaborate with everyone who tells me things... duh? ^^)

UR> yes, one does seem to be in need of a smaller "holiday to recooperate" ;)

pika said...

I'm having a pretty much identical experience in my country right now, so I am with you completely...

Enjoy the rest of your holidays and all the best in 2011!

Silver Fox said...

I just looked up glögg, and found it's what we call mulled wine - yes, yummy! :)

chall said...

pika: hope you get safe travels back home (to where you live) and that the holidays are somewhat relaxing ;)

all the best in 2011 to you too!!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I sympathize... I have to say it was really nice to have a Christmas at home with friends rather than family. I wouldn't want to be apart from my family every year, but it makes a nice change :)

Happy New Year, and I hope the trip home goes/went smoothly!