Thursday, June 17, 2010

"it's like high school... but not really"

I recently got an email from a former colleague where she was ranting about her new PhD student, who has this concept that science is all about brains and "if you are smart enough, you can get the professorship and publish in C/N/S when you do grad work". She wrote me partly because she wanted to see how I am doing in my new position, partly because she had some news of her own and (as she stated) "you were always the one not to bs. Have any suggestions on an analogy I can use to explain the slightly bigger thing here? I miss your wit with a smile after the cynical statements".

ehh... although I guess there is something to it? Even if it just felt a bit like the "ask the lonely sometimes talkative, cynic over there in corner who makes some people feel a bit awkward".

The last few weeks have been educational, in some regards. Basically, I love the fact that most of us were brought up with the idea that "as long as you do a good job, you'll be rewarded for it". Well, my only beef with it? (not the only, but the main one.)

That the world doesn't work like that. (it's a great fairy tale though.)

Sure, we'd like that people who work hard and do a great job get rewarded. I mean, how would you get people to do that otherwise? (There are those strange people who take pride in doing an awesome job without payback but alas, we are mostly slightly strange and the odd ones out who other people tend to laugh at and make do their work just because...)

So, the plan is simple; tell all children that being a good moral person who works hard and strive to make the world a better place will be the thing that gets rewarded.

Well, reality check?! Not all that likely. More likely, the person who suck up is going to get stuff before you, no matter how good you are. Or, in science, the person with the best ideas might not go anywhere since it has to do with how you present the ideas, who you ally with, who gives you money and a whole lot of things that has little to do with your actual research/lab work.

And that, if you don't work in Academia, there is a great chance that the middle manager will be someone that didn't do their job all that well but since people couldn't fire them - since they did didn't do anything that wrong, they know the bounderies - they "replaced them" by moving them semi-up and to the left where they now can decide over others but hopefully not complain as much to the people in charge who were tired of hearing them.

Yeah. And I wish for was that I could've been taught this little story a bit earlier than mid20ies.... 30ies... what ever age it was, it felt like too little, too late you lovely idealistic stupid person who wants to do a good job all the time and take pride in it.

I guess it's just one of those things you have to experience to get?

Now, how do I phrase that in a less sarcastic and more positive way in an email?



Btw, Charmed has a nice episode about looking into the future and staring at your choices from the past... something to do with "not settling" and "all you do have consequences" and "you decide what you want to happen". Not much to do with this post really, but as I run with analogies and popular cultural references I'd thought about now. Maybe there's a rap song somewhere with phrases like "they're gonna try and take you down, you don't shoot but stare them to the ground" or something.... (can you tell it's been a while since I listened to the 'talk'... )

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Ah, see that's the problem with trying to give advice to a 20-something: they won't believe it until they go through it!

Same thing with everything really - I can remember many times "more experienced" people gave me advice, and I would just say "but it's different now" or "it will be different for me"...and now I know I was ignorant and a bit of an idiot! Just something you have to learn on your own :)

fey said...

I had to go through it twice before I realized that hard-work and obsessive dedication are no guarantee for success.

It is all about strategy. Circumstances beyond your control can give you a handicap or an advantage - and to fight that is a pointless exercise.

You do not have to be a devious suck-up or lucky bastard to get ahead, but you are a fool to believe that simply working hard and doing your best will bring their due rewards.

I still believe in hard-work, and I continue to strive to do my best. I just wish I had learnt sooner that I also needed to be strategic and self-promoting, and that I had to watch my back.

Great post!

chall said...

Alyssa> I'm a firm believer in "learning by doing" (the scout motto after all) but I also think there is something to be said about no repeating ALL the stupid things ;)

I hope that you can play back up though. As in "I know they said A and I think B but let's have A in mind while doing B..." ?

Dr GF> Yes, there is a bit of strategy involved for sure. I remember my first encounter with "career planning" and I thought 'wow, that sounds callus and very Wall street. I'm not doing that' Hopefully one can find the precious middle way without compromising your ideals.

However, in the light of recent event; I think I have to stick with "being good usually means getting shafted everyonce in a while" since you can't fight as the suck ups do... you get dirty then.

and thanks for the compliment! very nice of you!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Great post! It ties into some thinking I've been doing recently too.