Monday, July 20, 2009

drop dead diva


I have a confession. I like some tv shows that people tend to call shallow.... female... Life Time Movie Network shows... or rather Army wives... and the likes... and now I am watching this Drop Dead Diva. It’s about a shallow yet gorgeus model who dies and ends up in a sharp as a whip lawyer body. The catch? She is  turning into size 16 instead of a size 0.


Not that it is novel, it is all about the fact “she’s smart and sharp but alas she wears Lane Bryant (i.e. plus size) and is single. But all love her at work since she works her ass off”. And the model hates her new body and all the paths that are closed to her.


She does love the brain though.


And of course, her resentment grows bigger when her fiancee is starting at the same firm and the (skinny) other lawyer is hitting on him.


This is all about my old process about Beauty or Brains. Like The Pet Shop Boys say; “I’ve got the brains, you’ve got the looks... lets make lots of money.” (Opportunities, from the Album Please). 


It brings to mind a question a friend of mine asked “why don¨t you wear sexy clothes to work” and I mumbled something about “ I want it to be about my science and not about something else”.... then again, that’s not how to play the game I guess.


I will say this though, it is very nice to see a “normal” woman on tv and realise that you can be good looking and sexy even if you aren’t a size 2 like all the movie stars.


....and I am not even a size 16... there is hope for me...


(end of the LMN and girly thoughts... start “how to organize that paper”)

3 comments:

microbiologist xx said...

I think dressing sexy in our job would probably count against you. The men (especially the older generation) won't take you seriously and some percentage of the women will probably talk about you behind your back. My old boss told me that when she was in grad. school, one of the women there chose to wear make-up and dress on the girly side (heels, etc. but not sexy per se) and said that both men and women made some pretty disparaging comments about her dress and did not take her seriously. Granted, this was 20 years ago. Of course, a few years ago I got told that I ruined science for all women when I wore a tank top to a departmental retreat where men were wearing shorts and tees, so maybe things haven't changed that much.

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Yeah, it is definitely not appropriate for me to wear "sexy clothes" to teach in! Although I don't wear tank tops or other sleeveless stuff to teach in (because who really wants to see my armpit, right?), I don't think it should be cause for alarm.

Oh, and I totally caught the first episode of drop dead diva. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

chall said...

MXX I agree. And I think I would get comments still today...

UR: the arm pit comment made me laugh. It is true though. In regards to the Drop Dead Diva, I am waiting to see what happens in the next episodes before I state I really like it or not ;)