Monday, March 16, 2009

Do microbiologists dream of electric bacteria?

In my case, nope. Do the microbiologist dream about various things better left in history and memories? Yes. (I know the analogy doesn’t really work since as far as I know, I am not an android... But then again, the idea of going into work every day makes me wonder about that too sometimes… nag nag nag)

I wanted to elaborate this whole dream thing, especially since I wrote a long rant about translation and being lost in it. They have things in common you see. Why? Well, it is a known fact for the one of us who have moved to a new country where our native language is not spoken that one of the things that change once you “adapt into your new environment” is when you start dreaming in the new language.

For me, that took about two to three months… then I woke up one morning and though about my dream and it was all in English. That was definitely cool, yet somewhat unnerving. Why? Well, I have dreamt in English before. The one thing about that though is that I knew I was dreaming… or that I thought I was in a movie or so… since I was talking English. Nowadays I more often than not dream in English although after a little vacation in my native land I retorted back into speaking my native tongue, even in my sleep.

It is quite confusing though, now when I am back in my English speaking country, to wake up from a dream that has its settings in “real life” and having the characters of my “real friends and acquaintances” and things that happen that aren’t really strange per se. What do I mean? Well, it might not be strange that one of your friends is pregnant, or that two of your colleges are dating or that your oldest friend in the world is talking to you in English, but it is not “true” and only happening in the dream. When these sorts of things happen in the dream and they are not only directly related to me, they are also intertwining my history and my memories to create something that has never happened…. Like you have a real memory with people, just that those ones weren’t the ones who were really there and then you mix up their language into English and then it is all very skewered. A bit like reality on crack I would assume… or maybe just looking through the looking glass and everything is tinted in green (like in the OZ books).

On top of that there is this language thing, which leads me to end up fairly confused in the morning. I wake up and have to stop for a second and think it all through. Did it really happen like that? Where am I? (I know, it sounds cheesy, like one of those amnesia movies but really – sometimes it is fairly confusing waking up and not knowing if I am supposed to speak English or something else….) What is going on? And most of all, do I dare turn around and look at the walls and the rest of the room? What if I am not really there….

Not to mention that having a real history moment play out in a dream, but change the ending into something you don’t recognize nor like, makes it all very scary, imho. You know, like those scary movies where everything seems just normal …before the sky comes falling down, the zombies start chasing you with blood from their eyes and mouths and you find your parents in the basement with an axe in their heads…. Just to name a few lovely images that sometimes happen after you watch Dawn of the Dead or 28 days.... (Let me tell you, if you drive a car and there is a road underground and one above ground… even if you think you will save time going underground. STAY away!! Take the scenic route and give yourself a few more hours, ok!?)

I will now go back into the lab and start hunting my bacteria down (with antibiotic nevertheless and not guns) and think about my next post, which will either touch on the subject of sin, or be a part of this months Carnival about "Tell us about that most firey fire through which you have had to walk in your scientific career." as decided by Candid engineer I guess I need to make a decision about exactly how candid I will be, and how much of the dreams I would tell....

7 comments:

Professor in Training said...

I've always wondered at what point non-English speaking people started to dream or even think in English. Fascinating!

Along similar lines, I knew I'd been in the US for a long time when I realized I had been driving on the right hand side of the road in my dreams of home (we drive on the left/correct side in the land far, far away).

Fia said...

Uh,ja dreaming in a foreign language is quite bizarre.. No matter what any dream interpretation book says, it for sure must be a sign for you being well integrated!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Love the title, love the zombie reference!
Dreams are awesome and weird. I love them, especially when they make no sense. However a really horrible dream (like the one I had on an overnight train once that my sister had died and it was indirectly my fault - I had to call her the next day to check she was OK) can ruin my day.

Stay safe from those zombies.

chall said...

piT> I have heard everything from two weeks to three months or more... I think the key thing is that once you start thinking the structure of the sentences in "the language you are now speaking" instead of translating, you are on your way of dreaming. I realised that I am also thinking (and talking to myself) in English more often than not. Sometimes a very stressful experience since I can't find the Swedish words...

Fia> mmm I hope so. then again, I never really dreamt in French when I lived there for a while.

Cath> haha, the zombies are always on my mind! I have hope Cthulhu will save me, although I didn't bring him from country far away where he is stoved away.

I had one of those gross dreams last week, which ended we me being in a foul state the whole day. Let's just say it was on the same note that you and your sister, yet involved real history but with a new ending... in where I was feeling very happy but really shouldn't. and I woke up and felt sick. If that makes any sense at all?

Silver Fox said...

I have dreamed of rocks!

Once when younger, I had a dream that was mostly in German, although I've never taken German and only know a few words. We were in the resistance, and when coming upon some German officers, I stood right out and started speaking fluent German to them. It was strange, because I knew what I was saying, so did they, and it definitely wasn't English I was speaking. Weird?

microbiologist xx said...

I am impressed that you can figure out your dreaming at all. It doesn't matter how many bizarre and unnatural things occur, I still don't realize that I am dreaming.

chall said...

SF> yeah, that is similar to what I have dreamt about too... you know you are talking fluently in some other language but you didn't always know the words...

MXX> I am not alway aware that I dream while in the dream (sometimes but not often.) What I mean is that I get very confused afterwards, when I wake up and don't know if it was a dream or reality....