Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Exchanging Sundin for Lidström?

I don’t know.... why would you want to move away from your team since 15 years in order to go to.... their worst fiend?!?!?

I would have understood Vancouver (yes, playing with Näslund and the other 4 swedes would be a thrill, especially Näslund). I would have understood Detroit (hey Stanley Cup now I can finally touch you. Oh, and I’ll follow in the footsteps of Salming.) But Canadiens? Really?

I know he did his first time in NHL in Quebec Nordiques (1990, first European to be first over all first drafted in the NHL) but that team morphed into Colorado Avalanche, not Montreal Canadians. Although I guess they spoke French too... and came from the same province... But Montreal? The team and city that Toronto hates. The francophones and their interesting architecture. The rivalry.

Yeah, if nothing else; why would you want to trade to a team who will not win the Stanley cup either? And you get the kicker of being hated by the whole old city. I mean, this is not even considering that he could have traded in the early summer and given The Maple Leafs a shot at getting some new talent and some money. But no… wait until it is like three weeks to the first game and not decide.

Sometimes I hope that the last season was the last season. Period.

At least then I could wear my number 13 shirt with leafs on the chest with pride. Now? I might just go for that Red Wings team. After all they have more Swedes than most teams have together…. And their shirts looks more fitted than the huge number 13 in my closet.

But I will miss the first love. Always.

3 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Canucks! We have the Sedin twins and Ohlund. We lost Naslund though.

I do wish Sundin would have made his decision sooner. He had, what, 6 teams (including the Canucks) waiting on him, and leaving it so late made all of them put off their plans for other trades. I hope he didn't screw over any younger, less well-paid players who might have been given a better offer sooner if teams hadn't been waiting for Sundin...

chall said...

you lost Näslund? Really? Hm, I need to make sure that I keep updated with this hockey thing. Have been busy learning American Football the last couple of weeks ;)

And I think he did screw some younger talents over. Toronto didn't buy more poeple since they wanted to have money for him.... whichever way it goes now it will be complicated, me thinks. Although, it will be terrible if he chooses Canadiens.

chall said...

ok, now I get more things. The Rangers' saga with Sundin makes sense when Naslund is there... although I doubt they have the cash.

ah well, I'd better go back to my bactiera. My legs hurt from running yesterday though, so I'll hobble to lab :)