Tuesday, September 22, 2015

playing the extrovert

Part of my job, the part that I had the most difficulties with when I first started this gig, is playing the extrovert. Stepping out of the introvert zone and smile, connect with people and mirror them. Give them energy and be supportive. Take their hand and guide them through the start of a project. Give them reassurance that "oh yes, this will work fine". Sort out issues they have with each other and the team(s).  And all this time, not be upset with them but smooth things out, sort it out and solve it.

Sometimes I sit in meetings trying to explain what Person A said and what they thought was the goal with the project to Person B (did I mention it's science and we don't really do "real" defined project plans and scope - it¨s all evolving and new). Never mind that I sometimes don't know what Person A really thought. Half the time I'm not sure they knew either... but the communication is all it's about. And  it is easier to point out what you don't want than what you want sometimes.

There are times though, when my introvert self is screaming (opposite of the inner goddess dancing a salsa*) and I just don't know how to make it. Those times are for COFFEE. It turns me into quite the extrovert, talkytalky and connecting. Smiling and not over thinking and analysing every single turn in the conversation. (It's worth noting though, too much coffee turns me anxious, my pulse races and I could give any two-year-old a go at the Belmont.)

Drawback? That I feel completely wiped out afterwards. At times it's like someone has seen my soul and I've opened myself up way too much. (For you extroverts out there, it's not like I've said anything that's extreme - I might just have admitted something that I like. Or a happy thought. Or made a plan without thinking through every single little nook and cranny.)

It does help with the energy in the room though. And connecting with the extroverts who feed on people interaction, smiles and encouragement. Especially like the other day when I found myself in  a meeting with four "PR consultants" talking about "branding architecture", "overall market goal" and "communication strategy". Without coffee, I don't think I would've made it even halfway. And afterwards, the best thing ever to cool off the adrenaline and get back to an even keel - spinning. Nothing like endorphins, sweat and very tired muscles to give a good night's sleep and turning off the brain.

That said, it's time for a cup of caffine - soon there is another meeting that needs the "play pretend extrovert" to pull out all those great ideas and team spirit.




*if you know this reference, I'm sorry you read that badly written book. Let's hope you didn't read all three, since the last one was indeed the worst. Especially the conclusion. All I wanted to say fromthe start was "run away".

No comments: