Thursday, February 25, 2010

FIASCO

Well, I have already mentioned what the papers do back home when we play.... or rather, when the Swedish team compete in the Olympic.

Yes, you guessed it. That's the headline for today.

Why? Because the men's hockey team (part of our pride and joy since they are a team and not one single individual who usually cracks under pressure) played Slovakia yesterday in the quarterfinal... and they LOST.

Earlier yesterday I watched team USA take on Switzerland, they won in the end but let me tell you, it was not a convincing game for the US team. Suisse played extremely well and made their goal solid impossible to penetrate (until the first and only real goal; open net doesn't count in my book).

Then Canada whooped the Russkis. I don't know what happened, but Nabokov (the goalie) didn't have a good day.... When I went to bed Finland was taking on the Czechs and Sweden was going to play Slovakia late around midnight. And then I woke up....

Finland did their job, after 2 periods of nothing, they scored and advanced to the semifinals to meet USA. Sweden failed. After watching the first two periods courtesy of my dvr, I have to say that I really would've wished this Slovakian team to meet the USA in the semifinals, not Canada. Why? Because I really think they could beat the USA without too much trouble. They play fast hockey. The recoil very well and they move and shoot. However, I am weary that they will win against Canada with its "shooting the puck at goal machine" :)

I guess the Olympic committee (and lots of Americans) want a Canada-USA final. I don't. And it's going to be hard to go to work today considering that one of my coworkers is exactly the epitome of the American sports person... and he's going to tell me exactly what the game looked like last night. Although, in his world the USA played a good game against Suisse....

Anyway, this is my way of trying to get over the big disappointment that I currently feel. And it's not really getting better to remember all the finals/other games that are played/run today and during the weekend. So many occasions to loose yet again. Gone is the nice feeling of GOLD yesterday in the cross-country relay, and the hope for the women's curling will probably be shattered by the Canadian team currently number one... and then Anja can fall in the second run today, and then she runs again Saturday...

Truth about the game? The Slovaks played really well and the Swedes, we did what we normally do.... we slouch and do our 'lagom' way, and then realise that we haven't really done what we should and get surprised. (Like the second goal, two forwards attack the Swede goalie and the defense is not really there... they're at the blue line... ) Sometimes I wonder what the coaches tell our players, since it isn't "If we don't win today, you all SUCK" but maybe "let's go play some hockey and hope for a good day". See the difference? I'm not a fan of the first tactic but sometimes it is a good tactic.

But since the coach clearly had "too many people on the ice"; leading to a penalty and then the first goal and then the second goal within 2 mins, I am not sure that he said any at all. And I can tell you, Swedes playing with 2 goals against them in this tournament play like they have almost already given up.... "like the lagom people we are" And Hossa, Gaborik, Sekera and Chara are nothing 'lagom', they were the ones I was afraid of before the last game. And they brought it.

Time to stop whining now and move into work clothes. I really need that coffee and happy times right now because when I go into work soon I need to be a confident Swede....

6 comments:

Genomic Repairman said...

I watch the US hockey and really wonder are those our guys? Are they that good? They shouldn't have gotten this far but I guess they step it up when they need to. But kudos to Canada to hang in competition and pound the Russians.

chall said...

To be fair, the US beat the Canadian team - which in hind sight is even stranger.... but maybe the suisse just had a terrific excellent goalie?!

Although, I have started t othink that I know nothing about hockey.... duh.

Alyssa said...

I don't want to see a Canada/US game either...hopefully Finland will pull it out against the US!

The Grand Inquisitor said...

you forgot to mention Halak. plays his hockey in Montreal he does. that being said tis a sad day that the Swedes lost

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Sorry Chall, I wanted Sweden to win last night even though that would be a harder semi-final (on paper).

To be honest I don't really care who we meet in the final (IF we win the semi - Slovakia have been excellent). The Canadian team might have a bit more hunger against the Americans, having already lost to them (that game might have gone differently with Luongo in net), but really, a gold medal should be motivation enough! :) But it's more interesting to play various countries, rather than the same one twice. And the US and Finland have one Canuck each, so no bias there.

Maybe I'll change my mind, depending on how the women's final works out for us! If we lose that one to the US, I'll be itching for a Canada-US revenge match in the men's final :)

ScientistMother said...

I have to say i was SHOCKED that Sweden lost and wasn't surprised that we barely beat Slovakia. I am worried about tomorrow. But Sweden did beat us in curling, is that a consolation.