Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fat girl with the cookie

I realize that it is way too early (and most likely wrong) to say something like “I’ve made a mistake” when it comes to job choices and reality. However, the last couple of weeks have been like a fat girl trying to defend the choice of eating a cookie in front of a swim suit collection and other people trying them on, trying to suck their stomachs in and telling everyone else that they are fat although everyone knows it the fat girl who can’t have the cookie since she is the one who is fat.


Bad analogy probably but that is sort of how it feels, looking back. I don’t have a good name for what I am doing now. I don’t have a fancy title. I am not tenure-tracked. I don’t really do research, as far as “real” researchers see it, but as far as Joe Schmo looks at it I am. As of now, there is no “professorship in the future”. There is “an unknown future, with more open doors” though.


I think half of this strange feeling would never been here if my papers/articles were done, written and accepted. If the old place was “done”. If I was sure that my name would be the first one in line of the authors, even if it looks a lot like the remaining experiments (done by someone else) will give excellent data that fits in perfectly in what I have done so far… and I am not in the lab anymore and last time that happened, well – I wasn’t on the paper in the end. I don’t think that will happen now, but the order of the names may or may not be as I want them. And my paranoia is increased due to lack of addressing the questions that are sent in emails… however, I would think that it’s just me and not real. And when the writing process starts I would assume it will feel better…


And in any event, this is not as much a question of “did I do the right choice here” but “what is it really that I am feeling missing?”.


Partly what I am missing is the same thing that I didn’t like before. Working with driven people: driven people who want to publish, to contribute to the larger field (they want fame and fortune too) and can plan their own stuff and are not only at work to sit out time. Of course, I feel more like (again) I am the one who is naïve since I know that this is not the “truth” of science in Academia today. I know that my main reason to leave my post doc, at the time I did, was because it would’ve been up within the year anyway and the job I got wasn’t going to be around in a year. It was other things too. Like a little nagging feeling that however much I wanted to do science, I wouldn’t be the recipient of the ever so needed grants…. Not within the next couple of years anyway. And the whole “buddy complex” is not including me as much, I haven’t been involved in major collaborations where people seek out me or where I did seek out other people. I was quite happy in my little lab with my bench and my research on a smaller scale trying to sort out my problems.


And then of course it was the “outside circumstances” like visa and living in another country and personal life etc. all adding up to thinking “new avenues to pursue might not be that bad. After all, another route gives more options later in life”.

However, after being questioned for a number of times “oh, you couldn’t hack it” and “what is that” [as a response to my current job title] I have the fat girl feeling… and I have “defended” myself. All this tells me that I am much vainer that I would’ve hoped for. And that I am one of those who places emphasis on job title, professor title, research fame and glory … that it makes me feel important and worth something. And now, being in a middle ground for research I realize that my thinking is actually pretty disgusting and pathetic. I have somewhat become what I didn’t like in all these “slightly arrogant professorship aspiring people I have met during my years as a post doc”.


And I need to reconnect with myself and realize that I miss research, the Academia, the 10% when the experiments did work and everything was hunky dory glory with sugar on top. And this is OK and valid. However, I need to remember the other things too; the not having time for friends and family, not sleeping that much, feeling sad when the four weeks of experiments did not work and threw it all in a fit, never knowing when I could go home since it depended on when the bacteria had reached their good OD… etc. etc…


For right now, after the talk I just listened to, I realize that I crave the attention of giving a good talk based on my research that I devoted a lot of my time to over the last 4 years and hearing people applaud it and ask questions to me, since my opinion matters.


Attention whore. My secret persona… good thing I didn’t expect Santa to bring me lots of gifts this year anyway :)

8 comments:

Professor in Training said...

Transitioning to a new position is always difficult when the shiny newness wears off. Things may look rosy at your previous job in hindsight but you're right in trying to remember why you left in the first place.

Hang in there and see how things pan out.

FrauTech said...

I don't think you need to be embarrassed by these new thoughts of yours. I'm not in academia, but it's not too late is it? I mean, maybe you're just realizing now things that are important to you that you had no idea were important. And I can't imagine it's ever too late to chase after that. Maybe it can't happen right away, maybe it will need to wait a few years, but you can certainly plan and prepare for it yes? I don't think the things you talk about missing or wanting make you a bad person in any way, you need to get over that guilt, there's nothing wrong in aspiring to a different set of goals.

The bean-mom said...

"...the 10% when the experiments did work and everything was hunky dory glory with sugar on top."

Oh, yes. What a wonderful feeling that was. Nothing like it.

I understand what you mean about reputation and glory. You put it so honestly. Perhaps I am an attention whore, too =) (Hell, are all bloggers by definition attention whores?)

You haven't been in your current job very long, chall. It takes time to adjust to any new situation--whether it be a new lab or an entirely new position. I would give the adjustment period a bit longer. Having these unpublished papers hanging over your head is probably also keeping you from moving on. But if after a year you really really feel like you made a mistake and want to go back... it's not too late. I've heard of other people who have done so. (I am--hopefully?--going back afer 3+ years away, but I think that's really pushing it! I don't think one year is too bad at all, though.)

chall said...

PiT: I know. It's not like I really think it was better... it's just a strange feeling of loss? very odd.

Frau: No, it's not too late but the thing is; i like my new job. It's more of a feeling of "missing something" that I really think was only in my head... apart from the attention of course ;)

Bean mom: we can be attention seekers together ;) (see, I can't bear to write we should be hoe.. together ) I think it would be fine to go back, if you have some papers or something in the gap. I hope you like it coming back!

All three: I like the new job, and I didn't want to come off as someone who doesn't. It's just a strange feeling that I miss feeling "important for the field". And granted, I never really did feel that often at all so it's even more weird for me.

I think most of it will be over when the papers and the experiemnts are more done and over with. it's good to know though, that it's not an uncommon thing to feel a bit up in the air.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

The other thing is that (judging from your blog posts) you left your last job after some very very long days of trying to finish everything off, and then went straight into your new job, which is always exhausting. You might need some down-time to process everything that's happened. Are you getting any time off over Christmas?

chall said...

cath: As usual, you are very correct :) I did work lots the last couple of months, trying to finish it all... and then started the new job, went back and moonlighted a bit at the old job at the same time... and now, it's somewhere in between.

And I am soooooo looking forward to Christmas break. I will be on a mini vacation and enjoying every minute of it. Being off work for about 10 days I think.... Fri - next Monday... wow, that is long :) Contemplating not using internet at all :D

Silver Fox said...

One thought: you say you are missing being around driven (or inspiring?) people - and maybe it will develop that you will have the opportunity to be *the* driven person, setting an example for others or maybe inspiring them. On the other hand, not being around people like that could seem like a loss of inspiration and excitement. Another thought: maybe your job could have opportunities to at least give talks in front of your co-workers? (I don't know enough details, and somtimes these things develop more slowly than one wants.) Have a good holiday! :)

chall said...

SilverFox: yes, that is true. I can be the "lead by example". It's not void of driven people, it's just some of them are only in it for the little work and more money ;) as in other jobs I'm sure.

I think Cath has a huge point in the whining me, it was a lot of work and then now it's not over yet... i need to step up and write that paper...

Regards of the talks, nahh... I don't think that will be the solution but maybe I could reasses the teaching for night college or tutor and get happy that way? After all, in my town it's a need for tutors and "educated people help" and it might be very good for me to help others in stead of whining here abut luxury probelms?! ;)