Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The strange Swedish tradition...

This article: Sweden's bizarre tradition of watching Donald Duck.... has a slightly arrogant, yet sort of accurate, description about one of the oddest traditions in Sweden. Everything makes more sense if you remember/know that there was only one TV channel in Sweden until 1969 and then another one open and then there were two until.... 1987. Yes, when I grew up there were two channels, an agreement not to show American cartoons (unless on Christmas) although the last thing sort of deteriorated a bit in the early 1980ies since I know I saw some stuff Saturday mornings for 15 mins.... (and no commercials) I do remember the other animations I did see though, in black and white until a colour TV entered into the house in 1985 maybe?

It was a lot of cartoons with origins from France, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and other countries before the Berlin wall disappeared. We also had some Swedish cartoons, dolls and other children's show - but not too many. However, I was fairly happy with all of this - but Donald Duck in Christmas was awesome. And it never did bother me that it was the same show (with one exception in the end) every year.

I guess not having a VCR or DVD at the time made it more interesting since I couldn't see anything apart from when they showed it on TV?

With this little memory recount I want to say "From All of Us to All of You" a Merry Christmas and hope that the holidays are good to you. For me, I always enjoy rest, relaxing and reading books. Family is lovely, food is great and rest is excellent.

5 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I love these Christmas traditions! In the UK it's The Snowman on Christmas Eve.

Have a very happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Alyssa said...

Fun memory :) Have a great holiday!

Unbalanced Reaction said...

What a fun memory. I'm trying to lay low and avoid too many awkward family moments. Hope you have a great holiday!

chall said...

Thanks all! I think my christmas vacation will be a blast (no family, only vacation and going away! this year it seems great...) Happy vacation time to all of you!

cath: I heard something about that before :) it is wierd but fun to hear about everyone's strange traditions...

Alyssa: I guess it is. It does sound strange I guess... :)

UR: I hear you. I am avoiding family altogether and I think that will be a nice change for this year.

tideliar said...

Merry Christmas Chall! I dunno about cartoons, but rest, books (bless the dollar store: $70 of books for $3) and food is a good celebration :)