Tuesday, December 15, 2009

teen mom

It's has nothing to do with science but MTV is showing Teen mom, a show about women who give birth to their babies the get pregnant with in their teens (read: before high school graduation) and their relationships and their options to life. One couple is opting for adoption for their baby, two others are trying to stay together with a new little one between them and the fourth one is a single mom staying with her mom. (I might have missed someone here, since I am not a regular viewer. At least one of the moms "lost her virginity to a guy who promised to stay with her and then she got pregnant".... and some of the dads think a strip club is a good thing to do in the evening apart for hanging out with their child....)

It's interesting though. The show is focused on the moms, some of whom are not really eloquent or nice to their loved ones... Although, for me it is especially intriguing since some of my friends (with PhDs mind you) have talked to me the last couple of months in terms of "I was an idiot, I should've just gotten preggers as a young girl and had my children then. it all would've worked out"... on that, I have nothing.

This show makes it a bit easier on my "I have nothing" since they have nothing. some of them have nothing in love or money and therefore can't go back to high school, the can get their GED but, that's not the same. One of them just started crying since she said "I screwed up my own life..." and she is 17... well, let's hope she and the others get it together. The men, I don't have anything positive to say there either....

It's good for me to remember this though, when talking to my friends about the whole baby at any cost discussions. And what the dad is for... among other things.


The other thing, which seems very inappropriate right now, is that I am SO excited about Datbreakers coming to the cinema in January. Sam Neill AND Willem Dafoe in a vampire movie. Yeah, I am so there :)

obviously this is a cue to go to bed and sleep. I just need to see the end of Teen moms and resist the urge to go to New Mooon in the movies. None of this really hard, but I am starving....

2 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

When my friend was pregnant a good few years ago, she was the only pregnant mother of her age (mid 20s) at all the pre-natal classes, on the streets, and in hospital etc. Everyone else was either 16-19 or well into their 30s! It's funny how society seems to have segregated in that way...

There was a girl in my year at high school who was divorced with 2 kids at the age of 19.

19!!!

chall said...

yeah.. I hear you. From my experience it's either "young and no college" or "done with education and getting babies then"... of course, it was those 75% women at my department while we got our graduate degrees but those were the times.... and they already had at least one degree ;)

19 and divorced with 2 kids seems a bit early with major life changes... but what do I know. THat'd be UK right?! :)