Wednesday, December 08, 2010

my twelve months....

A little "end of the year meme" that I maybe should've waited with until I had something for December?


Jan Happy New Years! It's been a bit of a break from the Internet with the holidays and all


Feb I alluded in my previous post that I was thinking about things I haven't blogged about.


March am a bit scared now.  


April Most of the people who "know" me get surprised when they find out that I test as an introvert as Mayer-Briggs.


May As I have mentioned several time... Law & Order and I have a bit of a relationship.


June How you deal with stress, failure and other external factors that collide with your internal thinking is very different. 


July So, tonight I watched both "He's not just into you" and "Titanic" and read Scienceblogs. 


Aug This story "What broke my father's heart" in the New York Times made me cry when I read it.


Sep Sometimes, just sometimes, I get so blasted tired of people. Certain people that is.


Oct As a young member of various organisations and movements I came to the realization that maybe I wasn't really a team player. (The disclaimer is actually first but still, within brackets; "As a side note, this was written prior to the Vikings game tonight" )


Nov One of the questions I have gotten since I moved to post doc city* is "do you think in your own language and then translate in your head"?


Dec A little "end of the year meme" that I maybe should've waited with until I had something for December?

9 comments:

Silver Fox said...

I think it's great that this is your December post - for the meme. It's circular, like going on & on, and it's also like the peculiar effect of looking endlessly into two mirrors.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I also like the meta-ness of the final entry. Good stuff, and now I have a good excuse to spend some time reading your archives!

chall said...

SilverFox> thanks. I didn't think of that... and I do get confused when you do the "mirror in a mirror in a mirror" somwhere there my mind just log out ;)

Cath> what? You mean you haven't read them all when I post them? *shocked face* ;) (joking. I do remember you read the NYT story though, it was a tough one)

microbiologist xx said...

LOL! It does seem fitting that the end and the beginning are the same.

Nina said...

just did mine too :)
I'm still often thinking about your november post. It bugs me even more now that Th is here and I have to switch twice a day between English and German.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Re-read! I meant re-read!

Sorry :)

Unbalanced Reaction said...

This is my favorite meme of the year! It's so fun to look back at old posts.

Austin Elliott said...

Re. November:

I always imagine the language changeover is complete once people begin dreaming in the "adopted" language. The Boss (aka my other half) tells me she was working in the UK for about six or seven months before she started dreaming in English rather than German. Anyway, I'm surprised anyone asks that question if you've been in the States more than a couple of years.

chall said...

Austin> Yes, it does seem strange to me to get asked but as the comments on the post shows - it's not just me getting asked that. I would venture that it might have to do with "knowing someone who speaks more than one language" or "speaking more than one yourself" ...?

I started dreaming in English aftr about 3 weeks, but then again - I didn't have my own language around me at all. That "helps" I guess. The weirest thing is when the dreams about your family and old friends are in English - something's very odd with that ;)

Fun to hear about what your other half (SO) thinks about it too! Clearly I'm not as odd as I've thought for some moments here...