Friday, July 09, 2010

friday night rant about science and feminism

So, tonight I watched both "He's not just into you" and "Titanic" and read Scienceblogs. After that session I felt a bit over-thinking. Let's start with the simple.

The first movie is linked as a "girl movie". It started out OK, and let me put this right now - I like the genre, especially on a girly night - , and them it sort of all ends up with all "women want to get married whereas men don't need that confirmation" [yeah, don't think that all the time but certainly hope it's not true]. Apart from that, and all generalisation about men and women plus the fact that the girl who doesn't get it is a blond (Scarlet Johansen), it's a decent movie that made me think about the whole thing of looooove and that "when/if you really love her/him you'd d anything to keep them happy". [again, a simplified version about life ihmo.]

And then Titanic on top of that. This is where I started to think about science since Jack dies in the middle of the North Atlantic and freezes to death. I wondered if Rose actually would survive that much longer on top of that barge (spelling?) compared to Jack. (I also realize why Titanic was such a memorable moment for me since the worst ferry accident in Sweden happened a few years earlier from the movie, and the idea of being in +2C/34F water is quite scary if you have ever taken a bath in 32F/0C water.... since you know the freezing feeling of the brain, the movement of the body etc.)

And then it was the realization that before I moved to the USA, I had never actually seen a female professor give a lecture in a short, nice looking, (sort of sexy) dress. After I moved, there was all confusion in my head. Why? Because all my profs and the others told me was "look good in a [dress pants] suit and don't wear a skirt because this will put emphasis on you being a woman" and then I had all these women presenting in short skirts and tops. I didn't think too much about it until after the time I ended up presenting my conference paper in a nice top (not low cut) and a skirt and the comments I got afterwards was sort of in the like of this "wow, you look like a real women" and "wow, good looking legs" and things like that... but we did never talk about my research.... all my other talks and presentations were me dressed in a pants suit, or a pants and a nice top.

What I wonder is, is this just me? (Since I would love it to be only me and this particular moment.) Or is it the strange thing about being "female"/"womanly" and dress like that and then some scientists (men in this aspect as I am thinking about) are just going for gold?

Just lots of thoughts ... obviously..... a Friday night like this... and won't even go into the Angel episode I'm watching right now.... ;)

5 comments:

Nina said...

This is why I defended my thesis in a pretty dress, with flowers and bright colours and showing some leg. I figured it would get people used to females presenting scientific work and yet still be woman. I figured that at my defence questions had to be about my work and not about my dress and so I could totally do it. At conferences I do wear skirts but less eye-catching ones. No one ever commented on it.

pika said...

Re dressing up, I don't it's just you, but I also don't think it's just science, I think it's more a cultural thing. When I lived in Sweden, women in general (on the streets, at work, at university) were much more casually dressed than they are here in Ireland. Here, all women are much more dressed up and in fact when I moved here, I spent quite a lot of money to refresh my wardrobe with skirts, tops, etc. for daily wear, which I didn't have in Sweden.

But it's not just Sweden vs. Ireland - I also have a similar experience from Slovenia. When I was studying there, we were all in jeans/pants/t-shirts. There was one girl in my class who commuted weekly to Slovenia from Croatia - most of the time she dressed much as we did, and then Fridays she always showed up with tons more of make-up and a short sexy skirt/dress. This was because she left for home immediately after classes and people dressed up much more there than they did in Slovenia. Don't ask me why this is.

I think it's also similar with
Italy/Spain/France. When I lived in Sweden I always thought how great Swedish are at interior design, while in general they don't have style in clothes (men in suits with white socks in sandals, anyone?). And how Italians are great with clothes, but have most cluttered kitchy homes I've ever seen (that I would not want to live in if you paid me).

Anyway, just a bit of my anecdata and I'll stop before I totally hijack the comments. :-)

chall said...

Nina: I have worse skirts before while presenting but not short ones (just barely above the knee) and it's been ok. The dresses I was thinking about were just _very_ short and/or _very_ low cut. Anyway, probably more me and what they normally see me in...

Pika: I agree to a degree. I think in general Swedes are more "modern" - as my friends have jeans on when they go to work. Here - not a chance in the world (unless you are in the lab but still, not really considered appropriate).

I think that the casual could be one thing but I also wonder about the lenght/low cut. I just think skirts and low cut tops are less common in Sweden in the work environment. Most of my female friends have pants suits and not dresses... if they are younger than 40. And maybe it is somthing about that comfy pants or something?

Too much makeup is considered tacky. As you probalby know, the idea of riding a bike to work will inevitably lead to not having too much makep and anyway, the norm is "having a natural make up" ... I guess we are just a bit less savvy and dressed up ;)

And if you want to complain about men fashion sense, come on down to the south ;) a polo shirt and a pair of lose(r) jeans with sneakers is what you'll see most men in out of work clothes. I realised when I was back in Sweden this spring that I missed looking at men's behinds since here they are hidden in loose pants ;*)

fey said...

As someone who does not worry about concealing her tattoos, who persists in supporting facial piercings, and has a penchant for non-conventional hair colors, I can hardly be accused of "dressing for success".

Maybe I should conform more than I do, but I believe so long as I have the option it is more important to please myself - not some ideal about what a woman or scientist should be.

I think of myself more of a girl than a woman, but regardless of what anyone thinks of my authenticity I am a real woman.

Unless a person is a transvestite or has recently undergone gender reassignment the comment about "looking like a real woman" is offensive. If you are of that gender, then you look like a real woman by default and any comments in that vein are kind of stupid.

fey said...

As someone who does not worry about concealing her tattoos, who persists in supporting facial piercings, and has a penchant for non-conventional hair colors, I can hardly be accused of "dressing for success".

Maybe I should conform more than I do, but I believe so long as I have the option it is more important to please myself - not some ideal about what a woman or scientist should be.

I think of myself more of a girl than a woman, but regardless of what anyone thinks of my authenticity I am a real woman.

Unless a person is a transvestite or has recently undergone gender reassignment the comment about "looking like a real woman" is offensive. If you are of that gender, then you look like a real woman by default and any comments in that vein are kind of stupid.