Thursday, January 28, 2010

breaking a promise

I promised not to do this at my new job, and I’ve been good so far. Today though, not so much.

I’ve been thinking a bit too much lately and yesterday I went to a talk, got referred to in a what I would call “a tad bit rude” (sorry no details) and today I got invitations for two of the biggest conferences in my former field. I won’t go of course, since I have left that field and won’t go to conferences again (if I stay in this gig that is). And then last week and this I have been trying to set up experiments as planned, needed some feedback since ”it’s crucial that we do them _exactly_ as they do them there, even if you have done these type of assays before” and in the middle of the run through with a former post doc colleague he said “you do know to change tips when you do a dilutions series, right?”. And no, it was not a joke.

That was followed by a lot of “do you know this?”, all very basic stuff that I would assume anyone who has a degree in biology would know… And again I was reminded that to some of them I am now lower than them... and therefore I need to reconfirm my status again?! Then I listened to another talk from a “highly thought of person” who didn’t know the difference between a “true replicate” and “duplicate values to make sure the value is correct”. Let’s go with, it’s very important not to mix them up if you are doing statistical analysis and degrees of freedom. Of course, no one wanted to hear that there wasn’t actually significant values since they didn’t have 4 values to compare but only 2 since they were derived from the same set.

Great day. Absolutely splendid. I can’t say that today is any better. And what I have done the last couple of days, a monkey can do (or a someone with two arms and half a brain). I mean, cleaning BSCs? Aliqouting standards? Thawing frozen stuff to mix and freeze again? (And I did that as a post doc too though... so I know that this isn't something unheard of really. Just me feeling sorry for myself.)

I wonder if it would be a good idea to just take a short trip out on the country side over a weekend to get away, and feel sorry for myself and see if I can find something to brighten the mood because right not, it ain’t looking good at all.

Maybe if I could go to the gym and work out really hard (haven’t been able for a while due to personal things) that would solve some of this?

And sorry, this was exactly the reason why I didn’t want to blog (I had much more appropriate subjects to write about and I didn’t want to do this from work either but it’s a bit too much at the moment. Something got to go…. And if it isn’t this, I’d be crying and seriously, I don’t cry at work anymore.)

Off to do more things to show that I am good at this, not disliking this at all, and pull myself together. There are always days when you don’t feel happy at work. Just bite and go through it I guess. I’m just envious of the people I left. Funny, I need to remember what it was like two years ago… perspective.

8 comments:

Genomic Repairman said...

Sometimes you wonder if society wouldn't be better off if you could just strangle a certain individual.

FrauTech said...

I don't know what to say as far as advice, but hang in there, know people like and respect you, and keep up the good fight. I always find a long weekend away from it all is a good way to clear the mind and then very obvious when you come back how quickly things return to "awful" whether you might to consider bigger changes.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

"There are always days when you don’t feel happy at work. Just bite and go through it I guess."

True. It always sucks at the time, but there are ups as well as downs. Hang in there!

chall said...

Thanks guys!!

I got "talked down" (or up?) by a coworker later on at lunch time and tried to see the positive in it all. wasn't easy but took the focus of "it's me bein stupid".

Then I got on good set of news. So, maybe after the weekend I will be back in good shape? Let's hope. It's really hard work not to be happy.

LabMom said...

Hang in there. And consider it could be worse. You would rather be there knowing everything they are reminding you of, then asking yourself "WTF is he talking about?!"

If they are assuming you need to be told those things, then you can also assume it is because someone there doesn't know it, and fortunately you aren't that someone!

Good luck!

Mad Hatter said...

Amazing how many people don't know the difference between a "biological replicate" and a "technical replicate"! You've been referring to your new job...did I miss a post about this??? Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

chall said...

LabMom: I know. I wouldn't mind it at the new place. This was "an old place" and "an old coworker" that I have worked with.... but, as I said earlier, I saw this argument later on in the lunch hour and felt a bit bitter ;)

MH: yeah, isn't it lovely to realise that people don't know "technical replicate to ensure the value" in example an ELISA and a "biological replicate" since mice are all different... New job since October :) a more industrial setting and learning all about!

Mad Hatter said...

Congrats on the new job! Hope you'll be able to blog more about it in the future. Did you move or are you still in the same general area?