Thursday, September 17, 2009

Changes in the future

I have been hinting here and there that there are changes in works for me. I guess now is a good a time as any to spill the beans.... (and not be as secretive.)

I will not be a post doc for very much longer now. (I guess this means I need to change the title of the blog, or end it... hm, didn't think of that before. I guess it could be ‘dreams and hopes of a scientist’ or simply ‘dreams and hopes of a female PhD’? Suggestions or comments are happily taken.)

I have been granted the opportunity to move into a more industrial setting (yay!) and doing something that does not require me to be in lab late evenings nor weekends. I will be using a lot of my previously acquired (laboratory and research) skills and most likely pick up a couple of new ones as well (read; proper people management and more non-academia skills). This is part of why it has been more quiet than usual here - I have simply tried to finish my projects before I transition over*.

I am not sure that all of it will be as done as I would have wanted it to be (is it ever?), but regardless, I feel that there will be a smaller paper trail following my departure from my present position. And the closer I get to the “starting date” the more I can feel that I am not the poster woman for change. (No worries though, as long as I can get a week to finish and clean up my bench/freezers/fridges/lab books, I should be good to go.) The latest hurdle that arrived today got on my nerves a bit more than I anticipated but hopefully that will be solved too, to everyone’s happiness.

For now, that is all I can do. And see my dreams and hope for the future unfold faster than I thought.... :)



*ha, to be “finishing up” is somewhat of an oxymoron since it seems like for every experiment I am done doing another one rears its head. Soon enough though, there will be no more time for more data collection, only collecting and writing the conclusions. And some conclusions I might add. It does look quite promising, even for a tentatively gloomy one as me.

13 comments:

Professor in Training said...

That's awesome, Chall - congrats! Dare I ask whether this new position is in the same city as your postdoc or even in the same field?

Lisbeth said...

Congratulations on the job! Will you be staying in the same city?

DrL said...

Congratulations on your new future! I wish you a happy new job :-)

chall said...

Thanks!

The new job is in the same city (one of the reasons I wanted it) and an awesome place to work at (in?). It will be in the "same" field as I am working in now, sort of... I will not leave my bacteria, ELISAs and protein work but I will not do as much research/bench work but move into more of industry world with drug production and general procedures.

The last couple of weeks it has sunk in that I will not be researching per se as I have done and I have felt a bit of hesitation about it, then I think about it some more and feel fine :)

Alyssa said...

Congrats, Chall!! It's so nice to see someone move forward and into something you really want to do. Look forward to hearing how it all goes.

When do you start?

Unknown said...

Congrats!

The bean-mom said...

Congratulations! I look forward to hearing of the dreams and hopes of an industry scientist.

chall said...

Alyssa; within a few weeks :)

AA: Thanks!

BeanMom; Thanks. I take it as I can keep the title with smaller modifications?

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Congratulations, that's awesome! Good luck with all the transition stuff (am I allowed to ask about the visa situation?!) and I do hope you'll keep blogging... whatever blog name you decide on!

chall said...

Cath: Thanks for the good luck! I'm getting a bit of cld feet at the moment (lots of "finishing"). I'm applying for permanent residency so hopefully I can say that has been granted soon...

blog name... we'll see :)

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

Yay! I'm really behind on my blog reading and I'm sorry about getting to this so late! It sounds like a wonderful position.

Amelie said...

Wow, congratulations and good luck -- first for the finishing and then for the starting :)

chall said...

Amanda> not that late :) I hope it will be somewhat as I think ...

Amelie> thanks! I don't know which I need more luck with, finishing or starting since my finish seem to drag out ;) I promised not more experiments soon though.