Monday, August 10, 2009

change or (/of) routine

It’s no surprise for people in my vicinity that I am not the biggest supporter of change. I don’t think they would say that I am a coward (i.e. not afraid of change) but maybe state that “she likes routine”. Routine does not necessarily mean “predictable”, or so I try tell myself. After all, is there anything worse than to be called “predictable”? (I guess more positive words are reliable or trustworthy.... but still, I get the vibes of “old, traditional and reliable” being the code words for “boring and routine” and we all know that the “daring, unpredictable and brave” person wins the prize in the end of the movie?!)


Ah well, if you wonder which category you end up in, there is nothing to indicate to you if you like change or routine more than to have either new people in the lab (“why do you do things _that_ way. I want to do it like this.”) or try and start a new job.


I have experienced the first one for a couple of months now, it is quite interesting (I could probably write “annoying” or “exhausting” or “eye opening” but I’ll satisfy myself with interesting). The other one is something I probably will experience before the New Year start. (Yes, I am not only apprehensive of change, I am also slightly superstitious and will wait and talk more about changes until they are set slightly more in stone.... but it looks good so far and a normal person would celebrate already. Then again, I am the one more weary of “don’t laugh too early” or whatever it would be as a proverb in English.)


Oh, and if you ever want to test how humble and northern Scandinavian (or Lutheran or “not liking to tote your own horn”) you are, I recommend writing eight or so letters of recommendation for yourself to promote you as an outstanding researcher and excellent person. And to ask the prominent professors you know to sign them of course. Let’s say I score high on the L-scale.... Lucky me that the hype wasn’t all in my head.

6 comments:

The bean-mom said...

Sounds like things are going well!

And I HATE writing recommendation letters for myself. Ranks right up there with giving myself paper cuts.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I will send you a cautious "hooray"!

I know what you mean about not laughing too early (the English would be "don't jinx it" or "don't count your chickens before they hatch"). I am the same way! I blame Newcastle United for losing too many games in the last minute of play after leading by 2 goals from the first half. I never trust that anything good will happen until the final whistle blows! (Yes, football has scarred me for life!)

microbiologist xx said...

Maybe in the future you could use the word consistent. :)
Anyway. I don't like to write my own letter of recommendation either. I feel silly and self-centered all at the same time.

chall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chall said...

Cath: trust you to throw in a Newcastle reference ;) but yeah, I've seen things change very fast.

Dr MXX: hm, that's an interesting thought :)

Bean mom: I don't think there is anything worse (of course there are but you know what I mean) It's so self centered...