Thursday, August 20, 2009

A few hints..

When you start a new job, if you want to make a more professional impression that is, do not enter your new work place and tell people how they should run things. Especially not loud, nor in front of other people, especially not students. And most especially not if you are…erhm.. .not correct. That is embarrassing, mostly for you. And people might be annoyed with you.

Then again, most people understand this. Then there are people with less people skills. They do not necessarily get this.


And of course, if you are somewhat of a jerk to some people for a few days please do not get surprised if they do not want to help you the next couple of times you "ask for assistance". After all, you were the one stating “why do you do things that way. We never did it that way where I was. This is a stupid way. I don't want to do this this way” and toddled off with a grin, happy you “laid down the law” or however one can put it.


I guess it is an eye opener exactly how annoying it is to hear “we don’t do it like that where I come from” and I should be ashamed for saying it so many times. Something about that glass house and stones from within… then again, nobody’s perfect.


So, with the risk of sounding trite…. Tread lightly the first few weeks in a new environment. Like someone told me, why might be more obvious to some than others, “you have two ears and two eyes but only one mouth – wonder why?


With that, I rest my case for tonight. I really need to sleep.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, have you been secretly spying on our lab since the new postdoc arrived? I'm trying to figure out how to send this to her without seeming obvious.

Amelie said...

A while ago we had a guy apply for a new position. During lunch, he said to the host "[Local language] is such an ugly language. It's like a bad version of [his native language]." I wonder if he was surprised when he didn't get the job.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Some people are amazingly clueless, aren't they? Most people learn this stuff before they even reach high school.

Was this the first time the person had ever moved to a new institute or something?

Annika said...

Very true, and vrey wise!
I guess we all have memories of situations when we have behaved a bit like that.
Nowadays i guard my tounge. Or at least i try to.
Then again, very often it's not a matter of what you say, but how you say things. Right?

chall said...

Laura and Amelie: I can only second your comments. strange indeed. And that they seem to be in several places at the same time ^^

Cath: yes. spot on. the first time this person isn't Alpha and the best and most superior me thinks too...

Annika: yes, how is very important. And if you have some kind of modesty or self irony I think most things work.... but that arrogance and "I'm too good for this" attitude just doesn't work that well with me I'm afraid.

microbiologist xx said...

I agree, just grin and bear it if you start in a new lab and don't love the way they do things. I HATE the way my new lab does a lot of things, but I've kept my mouth shut about it until recently. I feel like I've been there long enough to get an idea of how the machine is supposed to work and can now make suggestions without imposing.

chall said...

of course you can make suggestions and all. My bag was more on HOW you form the criticism and if you assume that "your old way is the only right way"....

after a few weeks/months I definetly think you can go with changes... ;)