Tuesday, July 10, 2012

If only the assay had this correlation…

Maybe one of these things I end up with, my fascination with histograms, data and conclusion to draw from it. This is my electricity bill, with correlation to the heat/cold temperatures the last year.
 
Apart from the obvious waste that my place is heated/cooled with the help of electricity and not with hot water radiators as I grew up with (and no AC), I do find it charming that I can see a correlation between outdoors and indoors and my electricity use. (I wonder a little of impact of the washing machine/dryer use since in the warm weather I do end up with going through way more clothes since I have this scare about being smelly and stinky due to sweat etc… Then of course, I have never gotten used to washing unless I have a full machine so maybe not as much of a problem? Plus the fact that I still “hang dry” most of my clothes and therefore not use the dryer as much. Oh the questions I can think up when I am fleeing taking a break from the latest report writing….)

I guess I can also draw the conclusion that my home is not as insulated as it should be since it’s clearly very affected of the temperature outside. Leaky heat outside in the cold season and leaky cold air toi the ouside heat in the summer... and heat finding its way inside all these days... Granted, the coldest temperature was -17C and the hottest +38C (without heat index and in the shade… in the sun with heat index we’re talking more than +45C). Still though, if it was my house* I’d do double (or triple) glass in the windows, increase the insulation around said windows and maybe invest in some solar panels on the roof since boy, they would be able to collect some sun there.

On another note, I did get a rejection letter in a very decent time frame from the position postings so I can stop wondering how badly I fit the mould… ^^

I have a hope to be able to write something more interesting and thoughtful in regards to working environment and group management but for now I would like to leave you with this tidbit.

If you are applying for a job that requires a Bachelor degree but also mentions that a Masters degree is preferred… Would you really think lying about a Masters would be better for you, since you actually have a Bachelors degree? If you wonder, nope! You do get moved to the bottom of the pile though, since “if you are fudging on that thing, how would I believe you in the lab not fudging some other things??” Sometimes this whole job application process makes me wonder even more on why my truthful, good friends aren’t finding a job since clearly there are many people ‘fudging’ their resumes/job experience etc….


*If I thought I would be a)staying in it for a longer time (but why buy a house otherwise?) b)own an apartment complex and save some money (although, that would save money for the tenants, not me as an owner) c)just saving the world, one place at a time…..


2 comments:

Alyssa said...

In this internet age, why would anyone lie about having a degree they don't have? LOL!

chall said...

Alyssa> I don't know... but it strikes me as even more silly when it's not required and you have the other only requirement... ^^