Friday, August 06, 2010

TCM = August with stars = "movies this weekend"

TCM (Turner Movie Channel ) has this thing this August; a star a day. Today is Ingrid Bergman. And tonight I can watch Notorious (spy story in South America with a touch of Nazis). If I was awake in the middle of the night it will be a showing of Gaslight, in case you are interested in a very fascinating story on how an evil man wants to drive his wife insane before electricity was as it is now. And I guess I'll record Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde due to work hours, since she is quite remarkable in that one too.

All that talent and that face... she might be one of the most gorgeous women of all times... she managed something that was, especially in that time, quite extra-ordinary. She and an Italian director (yes, Rossellini) had an affair while both of them were married to other people. Although, I guess since they ended up being married to each other for 7 years, having three children (among them the beautiful Isabella Rossellini).

It got her on the bad list, took a toll on her career; she didn't do much between meeting R in the middle of the 40ies and early 50ies, even if I'm sure the children surely took some time. She was "too much of a risk" in Hollywood, not to mention what the intended audience thought... box office, ticket... revenues... But she got back in the game and made Anastasia, got an Oscar (then got divorced the year after that... in case someone is interested in counting all female recipients who get divorced after reciveing their Academy Award - a side note) and kept making movies until her death in 1982. Murder on the Orientexpress is another one of my old faves (closet Agatha Christie fan, that'd be me - kept a list and didn't stop until I'd read them all. It's like 82 books or something like that. Side note again.)

To me she's always been mixed in with Ingmar Bergman (no relation at all!) since they both were Bergmans, Swedish, famous and known by many outside of the little country in the north. If you can, watching her movies is lovely. Granted, I get envious about that face a lot of times. She made quite an impression in the start of her career since she filmed without much makeup at all - she had clear skin and a healthy appearance!

And tomorrow is Errol. I can enjoy Robin Hood in the afternoon (that fighting scene in the stairs is one of the first ones I remember seeing. There is that one and the Ivanhoe - not with Errol - from 1980 that I am quite certain triggered a slight interest in medieval reenactment and acting in general.)

Then it's a comedean Sunday; Bob Hope. Can't say I have even been a great fan of comedy but "I'll take Sweden" looks interesting, although it is Sunday morning but who knows? Maybe that movie from 1956 fits perfectly with waffles and a slow Sunday breakfast? I have to admit that I haven't seen it but the story about a man who moves to Sweden to stop his daughter from marrying a beach bum (in Sweden? in the 1950ies? Maybe the writers mistook California and Sweden...) ah well, it sounds like it could be a fun movie.

Monday has Warren Beatty and then after that I haven't picked all the movies to drown in. It's going to be a lot of options... Kathryn Hepburn, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, Olivia de Havilland, Lauren Bacall, Peter O'Toole and many many more. It looks like I am going to have lots of diversion from everyday life, which might be a good plan.

Dream a little dream with a movie... and prolong the nightly dreams.

Now, time for work!

8 comments:

ScientistMother said...

sometimes I just LOVE TMC

chall said...

Yes :) When movies were still made of longer shots and not just huffpuffcarcrashandsexandsomemindlessplot (what, I'm being pretentious? pah. not all movies are like that, but many... especially the blockbusters)

A nice change from the LMN* that I have been drowning my sorrows to earlier.

*lifetimemovienetwork

pika said...

Speaking of movies, did you hear that Stellan Skarsgard is going to play Martin Vangner in the US adaptation of Stieg Larsson's novels? And Daniel Craig will be Mikael Blomkvist (I think the Swedish choice of Michael Nyqvist in that role was much better!).

chall said...

yes, I heard... it might be interesting to see what they make of it. however, I'm jsut a bit confused that thy will do a remake made in Sweden with american actors... then again, nothing should surprise me anymore I guess?! ;)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I have sooooo many gaps in my movie education. I don't know how it happened, but people are always talking about classic films and famous actors who I've never really paid that much attention to. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so maybe I'll do some catching up from my sofa!

chall said...

Cath> it's Errol Flynn tomorrow... might not be the best one (imveryho) but Robin Hood is a true classic. And if you can record Gaslight tonight, I'd do it. It's good.

as for the others, maybe take a peak at the website and get some suggerstions for some classics?! O'Toole is another one of those names, and Kathrine Hepburn - Lion in the Winter. Very good one.

Professor in Training said...

OMG - Notorious is one of favourite movies of all time! The combination of Hitchcock, Bergman and Grant, not to mention Claude Raines, is unbeatable. Just not a Bob Hope fan at all, though.

Sadly, I don't pay enough for my cable tv to have TCM but I already have most of those movies on dvd so I guess that'll have to do.

chall said...

PiT: I know. it's great :)

I know nothing about Hope but my colleagues at work said "oh, it's a comedy then" when I told them. I just want to see the interpretation of a beach bum in Sweden in the 50ies.... that in itself would be comedy (at least for me)....

I've never had not TCM... come with whatever cable I try for here. W/o cable it's like 4 channels... I guess that works out in one way since i watch losts online.... but sports... is never on internet - always pay per cable. I'm addicted...