Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Grumpy is good

"In a bad mood? Don't worry - according to research, it's good for you." According to this news paper article I read today - I'm not lost in space. (Some people would say that I might be a bit on the grumpy side... or the cranky one...)

From the article "An Australian psychology expert who has been studying emotions has found being grumpy makes us think more clearly. In contrast to those annoying happy types, miserable people are better at decision-making and less gullible, his experiments showed. While cheerfulness fosters creativity, gloominess breeds attentiveness and careful thinking, Professor Joe Forgas told Australian Science Magazine. ..//.. Those in a bad mood outperformed those who were jolly - they made fewer mistakes and were better communicators. ..//.. Whereas positive mood seems to promote creativity, flexibility, co-operation and reliance on mental shortcuts, negative moods trigger more attentive, careful thinking, paying greater attention to the external world"

See, I knew it wasn't that bad for me to entail my grumpy side. Although, I wouldn't call it grumpy as much as being a tad bit neutral and not overly cheery and positive. It's at least appreciated when trying to trouble shoot or plan long term experiments...

It's actually interesting. A few years back (what I would refer to as "the dark ages") I was trying very hard not to let off to my work colleagues that things were awful. Especially the administrators or people I met everyday but weren't close to. I always smiled, was "sort of cheery", asked a lot of questions to them about their kids and life and fun times (it's funny that people who get asked a lot of questions most of times forget to ask you anything in return since it is so fun to talk about yourself... ) and avoided any more answers than "oh, fine" when asked "how's it going". A lie of course, but as said before people aren't really interested in how you are when they ask it in the morning. It's simply curtsey. And I was brought up to be polite.

Anyway, the interesting part for me was when some of these people found out what had happened (just this year) and they were shocked. "Why, I had no idea, you were always so happy looking". Ha. I guess it's something I said another time when I was accused of being bad at lying. I may be bad at lying when I don't care if you notice, or if I want you to know that it is not the simple truth. When it comes down to the real shit though, the stuff that I want to be left alone and not anyone else poking about, then I am quite sure you have no clue.

And I probably shouldn't be that proud about it. I think it means that I have trouble letting people in.

Then again, as the article stated > there might be a place in the world for me too. How positive for me! :)

6 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Ha! I saw that article too and I just knew someone would blog it before I could write anything coherent about it ;)

chall said...

haha, thanks for coherent :)

hope you feel better!

Alyssa said...

Love that article - thanks for sharing it!

I'm the same way with people when things are going badly. Only people very close to me know that I have very depressive states, see a therapist, and am very introverted. Not sure if it's a good thing that I can hide it so well.

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

I just saw that article and then read your post. So talk about good timing :) I ask other people lots of questions when I'm depressed for the same reason. Once you get most people talking about themselves, they don't stop! I do get a kick out of having an evolutionary adaptation, though. ;-)

chall said...

Alyssa: yes, I know what you mean. I think it is ok though. As long as someone knows.... (close friends/SO/family) no need to air dirty laundry for everyone.

Amanda: :) good that someone else notice that people seem to like taking about themselves. Two makes more data dots than one :)

microbiologist xx said...

Well, that certainly adds perspective to the final two years of my Ph.D. experience.
Regarding people at work, I don't see any reason to discuss my personal business or feelings with co-workers. Friends and co-workers are not the same. Sure, co-workers can certainly become friends, but until that happens I try to stay business as usual and even if I have a friend that is a co-worker, I prefer to wait until after work to have "personal" conversations.
When I am at work, I just want to work. Frankly, that is what I am paid to do and I don't see the problem, but I can tell it kinda bugs my co-workers.