Monday, October 19, 2009

life in a cubicle

I live in a cubicle now. Funny, I have never lived in a cubicle before. I am not sure that I will like the cubicle life per se but maybe I was just spoiled with never having a space in the lab but rather in an obscure closet somewhere in a corridor... that meant I could leave my paranoia alone since no-one saw my computer, my notes or heard me if I was on the phone with the mother country*. And my notes on the wall were left unread by others than me.

Everyone seems nice. Although, maybe a slightly bit strange. As coming from this scientist, maybe I shouldn't throw rocks in the glass house?

My main concern, at the moment, is that I felt a bit frustrated. I guess it is as expected, with me being a tad bit on the stress side as well as "wanting to be effective from scratch", considering someone has worked on average too much the last couple of months. After all, when I left work after 8.5 hours today I was still the last to leave (not the last to come in mind you) but I know all people would still be in my (old) lab... and I felt tired, mostly from being on top of my game and wondering (worrying) if I bit off a too big a piece (rather, picked the wrong morsel** all together)... but I still liked it overall. It feels nice to be in a place where I will not have to go in on weekends. And where I still decide what to do during the day (as much as one can). And I get to help others with their job.

Hopefully my newly bought work clothes did not shrink in the laundry... that would be a bit of a bummer... since I am wearing them tomorrow for a training part. With that, I will go to bed to be a productive former post doc tomorrow.



*I guess the quick fix would be never to talk on the phone for a long time with mother country, but it is hard not to have even one conversation during the week considering the time difference. On the other hand, I guess I could take my phone outside and go for a walk during lunch since I will consider food intake and exercise outtake. Ah well, it's all going to go well for sure.



**I got a funny look (not the first time either) when asked on if I was a productive post doc... and truth to be told, I think it will be considered quite OK with three first authors and one or two second author papers in high impact journals (but I am not there yet, still a few of them to finish writing so no counting chickens before hatching). But that response from me has triggered some surprised looks and comments like "and you still wanted to leave?" or "really? that is great. but...."

I don't know if it's because they assume that I got this (non research but more tech) position because I couldn't hack it or because they are surprised I would want to leave Academia? The truth? I wanted to try something that I find will give me a slightly more secure job as well as maybe not killing myself in the lab with the weirdest hours. If I don't like it? I hope I don't hate myself. I mean, it doesn't really matter if I have to work much in the lab or not, if I can - I will. And then end up alone with maybe some nice papers and no friends when I am old. I think we have talked about that before. What good is a C/N/S paper if you have no family or friends when you are old? How much does a paper warm your heart? Trust me, considering the dropping rate of my friends and social gatherings the last couple of months I am in the outskirts now... better pick it up and move back in the circle.

10 comments:

biochem belle said...

Hi, Chall. I've been following your blog for a while but don't think I've previously commented.

In the States, people assume that if you come from a competitive lab or get a bunch of papers, then you'll do research the rest of your life. It's a ridiculous assertion on so many levels. Do what you want, what makes you happy.

Good luck with your transition to your new job!

chall said...

Hi BioChem! How fun to know a reader!

I know that there is that assumption but it's been more obvious to me the last couple of weeks since many postdoc/people assume that I "failed" and therefore want to find an alternative... ah well...

THanks for the well wishes!

FrauTech said...

I don't think your coworkers will care so much about your calls to the mother country, especially if they are in a language your coworkers can't understand and not loud. It's the loud calls to the insurance company, the electric company, the doctor about that weird growth on your knee- that's what's going to slowly kill your sanity. I suspect not being from a cube culture it will be harder for you to adjust then for them. And definitely that's what phonecalls and walks are for. I can't comment on your main dilemma but I'm sure you'll do fine, nothing is permanent and I'm sure whatever happens this will be a very good experience for you.

chall said...

FrauTech: that sounds about what I realised today ;) loud calls about nothing important that is.... but it was fine later in the day.

I like all the people and the job though. Good times!

Maria Abrahamsson said...

I hope you have fun in the cubicle! And no matter where you go there will always be people questioning your decisions, so just don't bother about comments like that. And speaking about work hours - my two new office mates commented on another colleagues work schedule "sometimes he's in the lab until 8 pm". Why do I get the feeling that they will hate me, big time, as soon as I'm up and running with my laser experiements... :-P

Don't forget to go visit the Smoky Mountains no when you have weekends off!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Cubicles are OK, with the right neighbours! I'm not in a cubicle per se, just an open area next to some offices - and the noise still drives me crazy sometimes! I'm going to try to work from home on Friday.

I've had the same comments about my choice of career after a productive postdoc (3 years, 4 first author papers, a couple of mid-author reviews). One of my current colleagues (a respected and very well funded PI) asked me at interview "with this publication record, why on earth did you leave research?" I gave an answer about why a research career wasn't for me that he said made him think that maybe it wasn't for him, either!!

I'm glad everyone seems nice so far! Try not to push yourself too hard, too soon - especially after working so hard to tie up all the loose ends in your old lab. I remember the first couple of weeks of my industry job being completely overwhelming. In fact, after my first day, I came home and sat on the sofa, completely unable to respond when Mr E Man asked me how it had gone. He said he'd never seen me lost for words before! I was smart though, and started on a Thursday... just 2 days to get through before the first weekend!

You'll get to grips with everything soon, and before you know it, you'll be helping all the new people when they feel lost and overwhelmed!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

chall said...

Maria: haha, I can imagine. It's quite a change to be back home then I take it? all that vacation... :) I'll try to get to the smokey, in the spring time when I have more vacation and some time off (and when the football is over :) )

Cath: thanks for all the support. I have gotten a few more hints today about "not working too much" ... I'll try and focus on working on other stuff not work related if that makes them happier (?). Strange :) But it is a bit overwhealming (as seen in post higher up). All this thinking about life choices etc...

I doubt there will be new people for awhile though. It is a smaller place with not as much turnover (a good sign in my opinion since that means people like it).Thanks again.

PhizzleDizzle said...

chall, I am going through similar transisions!! i constantly wonder, have i ramped up fast enough? am i doing enough yet? do they regret hiring me? can i call my husband on the work phone and talk for 10 minutes? then i think the better of it and keep it to 3 minutes.

we'll just have to wait it out and see :). hope you enjoy the new life!

microbiologist xx said...

You step away from the blog world for a couple a weeks and miss out on a career change. Well, first of all, congrats on the new job. I can't wait to read more about everything.
As you know, I just started my post-doc and my tentative plan is to try for academia and while trying, decide if I actually want to do it. I totally get what you are saying about people thinking you have somehow failed since you didn't pursue an academic career. It's an outdated and irritating concept all at the same time.

chall said...

PD: I'm feeling better about that now, after a few more days. Everyone seems to be on the phone at some time of the day and as long as you do something work related it seems ok. That said, I keep a diary (as suggested in a post by Cath a long time a go) in order to show what I have done each day so far.

MXX: THanks! I wish you the best for the post doc. I would've never not done it. It was very clear to me that I love love love research. Although, I end up working all the time since I have little restraint of not hanging in the lab all the time, leaving little social life.... Looking forward hearing about your experience too!