Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New year – old year

I thought about writing a “what happened under 2008 recap” and looking at my blog posts etc… then I spoke to my family to wish Happy New Year (since the time difference makes it funny) and then we started talking about Gaza/Israel.

Did I mention I came from a political family? Did I mention we discuss things a lot. Did I mention we all have a temper? Anyway, in this we don’t feel too different but it kind of did upset me. And especially in light of the news that we can see on the telly and in the newspapers. And with “we” I mean both the people back home and me behind the borders of US. Sometimes it is more obvious than others that The Power to Control Media is the Power who Controls the world. (Yeah, not exactly rocket science nor am I the first one who says it. Still though, worth repeating.)

Then one can read the silly things in the Swedish media about “the most powerful people [in Sweden]” and then think about all these news that never see day light. (The guy who got arrested for drugs in the middle of the night club…. The movie/new papers/TV industry which is controlled by ONE major company …. The mindless right winged high school girl who is considered to be “the power factor” among people under 30 [let’s just say I am terrified that it might be true. People are sheep, indeed] … and other things that have left me quite speechless the last couple of days.

Anyhow, this was supposed to be a post about my “2008 memories”. I’ll make a brief list, in bullet points, about my 2008, or rather the things that have made a mark….

* Post doc – do be or not to be? For at least another year, I will be one.

* Life – in the end of the tunnel there is a shiny warm light with comfort and love! Do not doubt! It’s true. Have faith!

* Family – whenever you need them, they will be there (again)

* Friends – without them you are nothing, they will be there when you need them (again)

* The Pub – where everybody knows your name….. ;)

* The punching bag/the other people in the class – you will need those gloves and that jump rope
* When all else fails; a book, a bottle of wine and some leaf raking will do the trick. Promise. At least if you add on a few hugs.

* One of the top 5; the going away party that was the best thing ever! (ok, so I didn't leave.... no-one is sad so... be happy instead.)

* Another top 5; Love. (It's funny, when you least expect it... it pushes itself into your eyes and heart...)

For my 2009…. What do I wish for?
* Less doubt (about me, my work and all the other things)
* Less worry (by jolly yes, no more sleepness nights about the “uncertain future”. I am starting to realize that future = uncertain = life . Now I just have to remember and believe it.)
* Less food ( I had to, but at least less bad food….)
* More happy (yes…. Remember to laugh and be happy, to live life and see the happy in things and not worry to death)

I think I have made my point. And let’s hope that I can make these things work. Not because they are my resolution… but rather since I actually think I’d be better off if they happened. [maybe even people around me too… who knows?]

With that, I wish you all a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

5 comments:

hgg said...

and a happy new year to you too! Sorry I'll miss you when you come to Sweden in Feb :-(

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Happy New Year! I hope 2009 is good to you!

chall said...

HGG: It is too bad, but there will be more chances! Hope the new year will make it a bit easier on you with all travels and all.

Cath: THanks. I think it might be. If the first day is anything to give the year away it will be awesome ;)

Annika said...

Gott Nytt År!
Nu försöker jag för fjärde gången formulera mig, utan att det skall låta alltför överdrivet smickrande:
Du skriver verkligen bra.
Jag är lite för lat för att kommentera på engelska,och dessutom ör min kommentar for your eyes only, om man så säger.
Det enda vi kan vara säkra på är att 2009 definitivt kommr att rymma många överaskningar. Bra eller dåliga sådana, det låter jag vara osagt. Men, det är så livet brukar vara. När man ser tillbaka är det alltid många saker som man aldrig hade kunnat föreställa sig skulle kunna hända.

chall said...

Annika: Tack för komplimangen!

ahh... överraskningar alltså. Jag ser fram emot att få se ngt utveckla sig framöver. Kanske en kokbok eller smakkolumn med bra och rolig och god mat av dig?!

Och jo, det händer ju saker som man inte tänkt alls - på gott och ont. Eller på ont först och i efterhand gott...