Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Selanne, Pronger, Niedermayer and Luongo

Ok, I am the first to admit that I don’t like The Ducks. First of all, how can you want to call a cool hockey team ducks? I mean, in some way I should probably not disagree since it is an old [British slang] word for “beautiful woman”/”cute girl”/affectionate for "female" – kind of what Spike calls some of his love interests and he is from the late 19 century. It is therefore, in the male chauvinistic and misogynic world of hockey, a brave name!

On the other hand, if you see a fight between a predator and a duck, who would you think would win? Yes, exactly my point. So, not because of the name itself but maybe rather that it was a lousy movie (actually I think they made two or three ‘The mighty Ducks’ and I have an inkling that Joshua Jackson was in the first one, with Charlie Sheen) and that Disney started the real team after the movies. It is just strange.

Anyhow, when I saw the Ducks play in January I almost got into trouble when I laughed when T. Selanne made yet another brilliant pass to one of his team mates. “What are you doing?!” came from a guy sitting next to me. I tried to explain it in some way to say that since he is Finnish and also because he is good, I just enjoyed watching someone that knows how to play hockey play. It didn’t really work out but the guy at least stopped looking at me as if I was cheering for the wrong team.

Well, last night I wanted so bad that the Sedin brothers could have done something. Reading today that they weren’t playing together and not at all in the first half? Why not? They’ve scored more than others in their team the last games, together with Naslund / their captain. Though, I do not know what the game looked like since I really made a mature decision and stayed home rather than going wandering looking for a pub where I could watch the game (maybe one down town, maybe) since I knew I had to get up real early this morning. I stayed at home and watched the updates on nhl.com and let me tell you, I was happy when it said 2-1 Canucks in the beginning of 3rd. Of course that didn’t last. Selanne did his thing and made 2-2. OT next. And I went to bed before that even started. Probably best since they lost. And now it is 1-3 for Canucks in games. I guess I will have no teams in the playoffs soon…

I really understand and appreciate that Pronger (top five in offensive leaders) and Niedermayer are nominated for that trophy, as well as Canuck’s goalie Luongo (top five goalies). It is just too bad that the first three guys in this entry are on the wrong team, the stupid duckies – the reservoir for the severe bird flu in the world. Ha.

No comments: