Wednesday, May 09, 2007

money and grants...

Watching one of those horrific ‘reality’ programs on TV, in this case the show ”Daddy’s spoiled little girl” on We, I think I would react differently to the whole trust fund thing. I mean, not only did my parents raise me with manners and politeness towards people that is something that definitely seems to be lacking in these people portrayed, if I had a trust fund jeez what kind of research I could do. Hm, I know that that probably is not true, with ethical rules and guide lines and all, but still… the notion that I think I would do research if I had a trust fund is somewhat mind-boggling for me at times. (It screams a of little geekiness or maybe obsession although I kind of find it a little better than spending it all on bubbly wine to sprout over my so call friends as people seem to be doing all over the world,) Other women would probably go for shoes. And men would probably go for cars or some new technical gizmo. Oh, or maybe a big mansion to actual own a house to live in? Would be a new thing for me!

Well, leaving the gender stereotype – I would probably go for some shoes, after all it is a small addiction for me* - but still being able to go to different conferences in order to meet people and discuss research without being begging for travel grants (mental note to self: need to write the grant application for the conference in September and book a plain ticket for the same) or just not have to work for the salary.

End of ranting since the show stopped and I need to go to bed before getting back to the wondrous research business tomorrow.

*shoes are the one thing I do end up buying more often than other things – books excluded - simply because they are easy to try on and most often does not require a fitting room or messing with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no way on Earth I am ever letting you meet Mrs Knight.


Mmm. . . Jimmy Choo.

chall said...

huh? What now? Why not?

If she is into research(ers), likes shoes and is a trust fund babe, wonderous :)

I have never tried on Choo, but knowing me I would probably find them a tad bit too expensive - but then again, I wouldn't know until the first pairs are on my feet...

Anonymous said...

Oh grief, Choos are fantastic shoes. Expensive, but for a reason.