Friday, August 03, 2012

Planning fail...or "All days are the same, right?"

First premise: bacteria grow on the weekend (all days are considered the same from the bacteria's point of view)

Second premise: cell cultures grow on the weekend (all days are considered the same from the cells' point of view)

Third premise: certain assays have set times, i.e. "take out sample after 72 hours" (all days are considered the same from the assays' point of view)

Fourth premise: A planning tool with a calander function is needed to make things organised and great.

Conclusion: Choose a planning tool where a 'week' is defined as five days since that's the definition of a work week.

Hm.

This leads to interesting things, considering that a "week" is seven days and not five*....at least from a bacteria/cell culture view of things. I know, even if 'we humans' don't 'normally' work on the weekend (here in our work place). 'We humans' sorta kinda need to look and consider those three things I listed in the beginning. Promise. It's not because I'm trying to be complicated or a know-it-all or a stick-in-the-mud.

Regardless of this, since it's another part of the fun, I don't really think Thursday the 22nd of November** will be a good day to start that Part F on. Just sayin'....



* it's even more complicated once you reliase that there might be confusion if 1 day=24hours or 1 day=the part with sunlight=12hours (aka 'work day'). I think there might be a whole post in the potential pit fall in using "days" when talking about assays. Especially if you don't recognize the difference in "sampling/injection/infection day is Day=0 and not day=1... Yeah, it's a whole heap of fun with definitions.

**it's called Thanksgiving. And it's sorta kinda big around here in the US....

3 comments:

Beauty and the Scientist said...

Lol cells do not operate on the same 9 to 5 in a 5 day work week as humans do :) That said I have to go into lab later today too.

Nina said...

Hahaha, "bacteria grow on the weekend", can I post that on my door?! It is relevant on so many levels.

chall said...

Beauty (or B&Science); yes, it's like the cells in our body grow too ;) I get memories of Belle and Sebastian from your name - might be before breakfast associations?

Nina: feel free ;) I wish I could've printed it on my dorm kitchen back in my undergrad days