Friday, August 17, 2012

Fantasy Football League?!?!

It's almost the end of August and with that - FINALLY - comes a new season of American football. YEY for that! (I'm really not loveing the baseball season over here.... nor am I a basketball fan, although that hasn't been going on either so... And in  the football back home my team isn't doing spectacularly well either :( )

Therefore, I figured I needed to be slightly proactive and write this post about asking/begging to join in on a league. I want to play Fantasy Football with my fellow Science Bloggers as last year.... and the year before that... etc...  :)

However, I know that since many of you are on twitter (like Genrepair who were instigating a lot last time ;)  there might be something set up there, rather than through the blogs like previous years? If this is the case, and some of you nice people who hang on twitter and are going to be in a league have an opening for a person like me - I would love to join in again.

Email me or drop me a line in the comments section. please? (Yes, I might come off as slightly desperate but I really like the banter and the playing. I might even become a weekend twitterer if that would be a pre-requisite nowadays ;) .... [firewall at work]

(Yes, I can send an email to the old email-list but I figured I would do this less invasive begging first ;)

As for the NHL Fantasy I guess we will have to wait for another month or so IF the league gets a season this year...... I dare not think about yet another lock out season so for now I am ignoring that fear! And as far as people involved in the madness of ice I'm looking at you Cath, ScienceMother, Alyssa, and similar others for the ice loveing fun people :) Got to get that competition in there, even if I didn't come close to the top three last year either.

Fingers crossed!

7 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

IF there's an NHL season this year, I will definitely be running another pool. Fingers crossed!

No interest in the NFL - sorry.

You should join Twitter!

Alyssa said...

Ooh - I'm hoping someone will organize another blogger NFL fantasy pool this year! Keep me posted too.

As for NHL -- DH and I are going to be boycotting the league until they get their heads out of their asses about head shots and the like. So, there's no way in hell I'm taking part in anything associated with them this year.

chall said...

haha Cath, is this where I say I'm lurking and do read some nights and weekends? (it's just not accessable for me on weekdays and then it seems silly/off to twitter. Guess I might need to change my account info and delurk,just in case?)

Alyssa> I agree to a point, it's been too permissive/odd ruling/what have you.... I've been having a slightl feeling like the NFL and the New Orleans' scandal with "hit them so it hurts and you get money" but so far... not. Depending on, I might not care about the fantasy but it's going to be very hard not to care about the games. I'm a little pathetic that way.

Alyssa said...

See, I'm okay with the NFL *because* of how they have been handling that situation. They aren't just saying "it's part of the game" or giving coaches and players a slap on the wrist. They are taking it very seriously.

I agree that having the pool makes me care about the game more...or at least the games that I wouldn't normally watch and/or care about :)

chall said...

Hm, what I was trying to say was that I think there might be similar situations in the NHL as the nfl but not openly dealt with yet. As per the old "injure player 1 sinces he's the best one on their team". I'm not a fan of that and think the game penalties that showed up in the end of last season were good. However, they were nt consistent which pissed me off.

Alyssa said...

Ah, okay!

Yes, the NHL, at the end of the season, was trying to show they cared somewhat. But, like you said, they were very inconsistent and they let a lot go in the playoffs "for the fans".

The problem is it trickles down to the minor leagues. There's a league in Alberta for 15/16 year-olds that will start allowing hitting this season! It seems like hockey is moving toward unnecessary violence more and more, and not the other direction as with other sports.

chall said...

woho, genrepair is a hero one more year :)