Tuesday, March 06, 2012

the only rule that matters in my book... ^^

Simple: If you take the last* of something, let someone know**


* 'last' = not enough to make whatever its needed for most of the time. I.e. leaving 20 mls of liquid A when the most commonly used solution in the lab (and the solution that is used every day) is 100 mls is NOT a good plan

** 'someone know' = tell someone who can order it, email someone who can order it, write it on the board in the lab with one of those pens hanging next to the board under that section where it says "ORDER please"... or you know, fix it yourself.

I had originally thought about writing how wonderful it felt to go to the gym at 6.45 am this morning, and then work out so hard that I was almost puking, then going to work, getting things done and having quite the great day, alas - that just got ruined and I ended up making a little of a scene in the lab fuming over lost solutions and liquids...

Ah well, hopefully ppl who matter agree and ppl who don't agree can... oh I don't know, order the stupid liquid next time instead of trying to feign ignorance and laugh in my face about it. Yes, slightly perturbed, or annoyed or frustrated might be more the term to use..... Lucky for me there is a good evening in front of me and some exercise pain tomorrow! Happy evening to all!!

(let's cross those fingers for the Leafs, right?  Who's the Bruins?!?! ;) )

^^ I guess I have like three two 'rules'; "order/replace stuff when you take the last", "do to others what you want to be done to you" and hmm... probably something like "from each based on their ability to others what they need" or something similar to that; too complex to write in a short rule.... lets leave it at that for now.

2 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

It's a simple rule, but it's amazing how many otherwise quite intelligent people have a hard time grasping the concept. It used to drive me NUTS - there's at least one person like that in every lab, IMO, but it was particularly bad in my postdoc lab. I was 95% sure I knew who it was, but not enough to challenge them directly - so I had to engage in generalised rants at lab meetings instead, while the prime suspect clucked sympathetically and looked at me in their usual patronising way.

My blood pressure is rising just thinking about it!

chall said...

Yeah, it seems to be like "it's everyone's responsibility" = it's noone's responsibility... and then noone doesn't live here ^^

I'm still miffed about it. Guess I'm like an elephant a bit, "never forget a slight" or something... maybe just sterssed and in need of that reagent makes it worse??