Wednesday, October 12, 2011

replicates/duplicates/averages - they're not the same

Those unspeakable moments, what would you do without them? I might not have had too many of them, or thought about them as much, had I not been a a)female (or do I mean feminist?) b)non-American (rather from a Scandinavian egalitarian country) c)in a place where we're under a lot of stress at the moment. And, I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't throw in the blanket "other things I can't write about since in the end I have a job I wouldn't like to loose".

Still thought, there are some things that clearly makes it more obvious than other times.

As in I'm good, not even kidding myself here, in coaching others in these situations. Yes, I would know what do to and how to phrase it to be in a good standing. However, coming to me and what I do..... well, let's leave it at "sometimes I am just not up for being the quiet cute girl in the corner even when it should be my best mode of action. I guess I can at least be happy with that I have not lost my integrity? Although, I wonder when I forgot my game playing mode? I have been entertaining the idea that "we are all looking for the winning solution here". Clearly, as stated in so many real life conversations, we were not. We were looking for an easy solution. Really, it shouldn't surprise me - still it does though.

Certain things really tick me off. Like people not taking responsibility for their actions. And maybe blaming someone who was never even involved in it to start with. Or pretending nothing ever happened... Or when you need to depend on other people and they fuck things up (and keep quiet about it) and you're left with a mess... coupled with never admitting that it was never going to be done at all but rather hidden in a corner, hoping (?) that it would go away by itself... I don't think I'm too unreasonable to state that it would be so much easier for everyone involved if the hiding and pretending could go away.

Then of course, it is that beuatiful insight when you realise that someone have mistaken (?) 'replicates' - 'duplicates' - and..... 'averages' .... when they have done their statistical analysis.... Let's not even complicate things with degrees of freedom, it's really not necessary.... Why not just put all the points in a heap and make the cutest line you can make? I mean, that's what you really look for, right?

No comments: