Friday, March 26, 2010

got reminded

It's funny, every once in awhile I get caught up in "silly" things and then thrown back into reality a bit later. It's hard when all news channels (they call themselves news at least) talk about Tiger and his women, Jesse and his women and some about the women betrayed (and a swiff about the health care reform and how it will affect you in the future) to remember that the world economy (OK, Europe but it affects some other countries too) is actually having one of the bigger problems in a very long time.

Greece hasn't been on the US news that much. And it's not reported as much as I thought it would be. If you glance at the European news, like the BBC America yesterday morning, they have more in depth news about it. The reality of what might happen with the EU if Greece fails. How other countries will have no choice but to help out, for the sake of themselves. And that if Germany and France do not cooperate, the EU might fail completely. Spain is on the agenda next, with their high unemployment especially for young people. And at least two countries in the EU are going to have general elections this year...

And this is not even mentioning the research budgets and cuts that have been implemented over the last year. The reality, as I heard it last month from a fellow ex post-doc who applied for an assistant professorship in a smaller place with research possibilities, was that for that one position they had received 300 applications, of which at least 200 were "eligible" (having a PhD I guess?). My friend stated that it was out of their hands now, but it didn't feel that promising... and this was not even a big university where the competition had been even harsher. The two applications they sent to those places came back with "we have professors applying for our assistant professorships you applied for and all of those have grants already, cheaper for us". How can you compete with that as a senior postdoc? (You can't, if the university want to save the most money etc...)

I realised again that my choice of work right now might not be that bad and in the long run it might be the best for me. It's all about perspective and reality.

6 comments:

fey said...

My significant other has been unemployed for over six months, and it is not easy supporting two persons on a postdoc salary.

I feel guilty complaining about the pitiful earning potential of a PhD vs a non-PhD college graduate when so many people I know cannot find work. My OS cannot find work doing anything around here.

Much as I am questioning my current career trajectory, I do not dislike my job. I quite enjoy it most of the time.

It is tough, but it really is about perspective. The reality is that those of us with college educations are better off than most.

FrauTech said...

I just got turned down for an INTERNSHIP. I have almost 5 years of full time experience in the field and 80% of my BS and the rejection letter stated that someone with more qualifications had been chosen for the job. So yes, people are desperate out there.

chall said...

Dr GF> I'm sorry. I can't imagine having one salary (well I can but still). It must be hard. and not having a job is very stressful for the relationship (I know that one at least).

Frautech> yes, I have heard things like that too. It's crazy! I'm sorry. I hope you find something good very soon!

chall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lin said...

My uni is that bankrupt because of the crisis (investments done badly) that they have announced a hiring-stop until at least the end of 2012. Contracts will not be extended all that sort of stuff. Last week we had a faculty meeting, and I counted approx. 20 out of the 30 who will have their contracts ending before the hiring-freeze is over. Only the profs and some assistant profs will stay, if this thing continues to be true....
My contract ends may 2011.... Before that 3 out of the 6 phd's I work with will have left. Who is going to do all that teaching?

microbiologist xx said...

I have some friends that work in Greece (in academia) and they have told me they can go months without pay. It's been like that for quite some time now. The situation seems pretty bad.