Sunday, November 11, 2007

stress

As usual the stress before a talk is awake. I think I can pull it all together before tomorrow when my PI wants to see my slides. Hopefully I can make it good, as long as I decide on the colour... duhh... as if it really is that important. It is not even a 'real' talk, just a bit bigger than a group meeting in an informal setting. Although, it is my only talk this year and I am supposedly getting feed back tomorrow.

At the moment I am mostly feeling all the stuff I should have done before this. All those things that haven't worked, i.e. the two different mutants I am trying to get. (note to self, I will flip the gene and make a new ligation since I think that might help out.) I probably could put something in about the other mutants that I have made though. Should focus on the fact that I have some results, since the abstract/poster at the conference even if I miss the easy ELISA since the cells refused to grow last week and the kit was old... ah well, it is all good?! I just, as usual, need to focus on what I have done and not on the stuff I haven't done!

Be proud of me and my research and try and put it out to the audience.

well, it is a bit tedious to always realise that my worst enemy in science is me, myself and I. Although, I would like it to be my bacteria or my PI but I really do think it is my self image... but I guess I could make it a positive thing seeing I see myself every day so why not change it?! he, let's focus on this and get the presentation going. It is going to be fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've been missing some local drama.

As you have realized, often when you get to work it's not so bad after all. The talk will go well. Just keep in mind that it's really worthwhile to practice it, even in front of the mirror. Don't wing it. BK had some presentation tips recently up on his blog.

chall said...

I never wing it, practice is my middle name :) and trust me, I was kind of proud that I could show today, when my computer let me down.... , that I could give the whole introduction and main purpose of the whole talk without any visual aids and the people thought it was good. (at least 5 people who said it afterwards...)

Computer decided to work when I came to the results so I could show nice graphs.