Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Handing in my letter


I handed in my letter of resignation a few weeks ago. It is time to move on and do something new. It's been a good couple of years but a few things have happened the last year to which I realised that I don't have to stay and wait for things to change but rather change them myself. That said, I waited and gave it over a year. Then I started looking for new things to do. A very interesting job came up, in an area I sort of have worked in before - but not really - and I can perhaps start getting another certification in the future. This means leaving the bench but not leaving science. I might even get to be on future papers, that's an open door depending on what happens.

So, these last few days at my old job are stressful. I need to finish a lot of my reports, assays and hand off a few crucial pieces that I have been working on. It will be nice to be done. It will be exciting, yet terrifying, to start a new job. I don't deal with change great, but I'm hoping that I will find a new routine soon enough (maybe Christmas?) and get this new gig working fine. Of course, there is always that looming feeling in the back of my head that "you will not make this work" since this job will be far greater people interaction than ever before. (Hello, I'm an introvert.) Not to mention that I am leaving what I've done and trained for the last decade and more (the bench work I've been pretty good at). However, everyone I've met so far are impressed with my people skills, and the references pointed out that I am a very focused and people conscientious person.... (as long as I'm not too stressed and you are not responding to me)... so I'm taking it on a hunch and will try this new thing. Hopefully I didn't get too attracted to the shiny allure of them liking me, but rather that I like the job and them.

I will try to write a little about the journey to get a new job, the leadership class I've taken that have shown me why I think I will be good at this new gig, and how to end on a good note. For now, all I can say is that most everyone at my job have responded with "you gave them 4 weeks? gosh, I would've been out of here within 2 weeks if possible" indicating that I don't only have a sense of "if this new job goes south, I might be able to come back" but also that I don't see the point in leaving on a bad note.

Next stop; new gig.

11 comments:

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

Good luck on your new job! I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Congratulations on the new job! I agree it can be scary to leave an old and familiar role for something new, even when you know the new job will be better... but once the first couple of weeks are under your belt it'll all be fine!

I would love to hear about the leadership course you've taken. I've done a coaching course run by my employer and really loved it, more than I thought I would. It's usually only available to newly promoted managers, but I talked my way onto it as my interactions with trainees on their funding applications veer into coaching territory a bit... but it would be a harder sell to get on one of the other official leadership courses. So it would be interesting to learn more about what's involved

chall said...

Thanks Amanda! I'll try and write some more - keeping the pseudo stuff and not being too overt is unfortunately a must.

Cath> yes it's scary alright... feeling very nervous right now.

I can definetly write more about the leadership class. It's been a ittle different from the ones I've taken back in home country (a little more american perhaps?) but very interesteing, learning and some frustrating ;)

Nina said...

Great! Congratulations!
Funny because I start an entirely new job in a few weeks too. Still related to science, but yet very very different and also a lot more people-interactions. I'd be interested to see how you deal, as another introvert (like myself).
Change is awful in the beginning, but usually it's good in the long run. Very excited for you and hope to read more about it!

chall said...

Nina! I'd love to hear more from you. What kind of job? what's going on otherwise? Back in Europe? I'll try and write more details about how to handle the newness and people.... ;)

Nina said...

well, I've been tempted to start blogging again a few times, but the job is pretty specific and I could never be anonymous about it I suppose ... It's with a publisher of scientific journals, and I'll manage a specific portion of journals, making sure the best papers get to the right journals quickly.
In Europe yes. Europe has been great so far, being back, but I do miss NZ. Also I get really tired of hearing "everybody comes back home sooner or later to be with their family". My family drives me even more insane without the oceans between us and I'd never hesitate to run away again.

chall said...

Nina. that's sounds cool, fun and stressful at the same time. All things I'm looking for in a job :) I know what you mean about being specific. I'm thinking about how to un-specify this new job, since it is fairly specific and i want to keep the psudo and write more generally.

Europe.... I dream of Europe still. I've almost accepted that it might not come to be, just yet. Forever gone though? Can't think like that. I miss the home land more for every year, mostly the lifestyle. (but I am fairly convinced it's rose tinted and not as great as I think about it... maybe that's the ex-pat concept - never feeling 100% anywhere since we've moved around?)

Silver Fox said...

Congrats! Here's hoping you'll be working with better people in the new place than it sounded like in the old place.

I guess the notice time one gives is variable, especially harder to leave in 2 wks if they've asked you to train new people or finish projects, etc.

chall said...

Silver Fox: Thanks! I think it will be interesting and hopefully a little less despairy feeling.

I think the notice time depends on how you want to end it - many of the ones who said "i'd leave within 2 weeks" where thinking about themselves and not ending on a good note... I never want to burn bridges*. Plus that in my home country its very rare to give less than two months when leaving...

*I got an open offer to "come back when ever you want and we'll find a spot for you" so didn't burn bridges :)

Dr. Dad, PhD said...

Congratulations and I look forward to hearing what you can tell about your new opportunity.

It might be nice to get thoughts on other career paths - I'm at a loss to come up with anything outside of R&D or academics...

chall said...

Dr Dad; Thanks! I will try and write something up more in terms of pseudo and all...

I will see what I can come up with. As for other career paths, yes there lots of thinking outside the "what I have been thinking to do all my career in postdocing"