Sunday, January 09, 2011

taking a break writing that narcolepsy and flu vaccine post ....

... that I briefly mentioned before Christmas holidays on Stephen Curry's blog, I ended up reading various blog posts and on-line journals... and stumbled onto an article that would lead me into backtracking even more into philosophy undergrad classes. Namely, logic as well as falsifying hypotheses and making an argument stick when trying it.

Funny enough, I was taking a break reading through my links about narcolepsy, adjuvants, vaccines, clinical trials and adverse effects. I needed to step away from what little I've written already (I think I might end up making it very basic with links or several installments. All depending on how I end up finishing it, since I am not even sure it is interesting - well written.)

What I am talking about? This is what I am talking about. Following the link will lead you to Columbia Spectator and the article reporting one of their professors being charged with incest with his adult daughter just before Christmas. The comment section gave me slight a head ache, the comments on other sites (from where I was pointed to the article in origin) made me even more tired. I ended up trying to make an argument where I don't really have the energy to motivate why I don't find it acceptable. (Incest that is, in case that was uncertain? Sexual relationship between child and parent. Never mind if both are adult. Sorry. Still lots of dependency, non-freedom etc playing in.)

Maybe especially today, being the day after the shootings in Arizona. I am already tired of reading opinions and mis-interpretations of what certain mental illnesses are, do and make the affected people do. The debate so far I'e seen focusing a lot on the fact that the shooter "seems to be schizophrenic" [note; this is purely speculative as of this time, and I am not sure if it is relevant for the main discussion i.e. what kind of climate, what "sane/normal" people/politicians can say about each other we currently see in America], therefore missing, imho, a lot of the things we probably would be better off discussing in order to not have this happen again...

As for the professor and the daughter and the incest. I am slightly surprised, but really I guess I shouldn't be considering faulty logic being expressed all over the world, that I seem to be labelled conservative just because I can't see ANY problem with calling it a crime and something way more complex than "sex between consenting adults". Then I haven't even touched on the subject that he is a professor (teaching undergraduates) or how the wife/mother could possibly make sense of the marriage/mother-daughter relationship....

Well, I'm back to looking through the links and watching the last wild-card game.... The lefty-QB isn't playing as well as I would've hoped.... Not lost yet though!

1 comment:

microbiologist xx said...

I've learned not to read comments on news stories. They always piss me off and make me feel like I am surrounded my ignorant jerks. I find comments on local news stories to be the absolute worst.