Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Alone on the ocean in a dinghy with one oar and no working compass nor map

I mean, a little dinghy where someone neglected to bring a GPS or any fancy stuff (nor a sextant) but rather a regular (sea) map and a compass. However, it's now been obvious that the compass is broken and the map is faulty (reefs not marked out, nor correct sounds and islands).

Even if I saw the sun and could take some bearing on it, it's hard to know which direction to go when you don't know where you start from and (in the middle of the ocean, no land anywhere in sight). And with only one oar, you'd better be careful on how to make it work so you aren't only going in a circle (never done that, duh).

I need a new navigation system, pronto. I'm tempted to break the oar into two smaller ones, but being a bit clumsy I guess that could end real bad (one oar is, after all, better than no oar).

And yeah, I am not sure what I would do if one of those luxurious yacht show up; my dinghy might be small and non-flashy, but it is mine. There is something to say about that, I guess. Maybe a long rope to allow towing so I can still have an option, and not get thrown off in the middle of the ocean sans dinghy? That would indeed be worse. (always try and find the worse situation, at least you are not in that right now...)

Oh, I think I see a leak. Better rephrase that whole story; "in a leaky dinghy taking in water in the middle of the ocean".

How splendid.

9 comments:

FrauTech said...

"my dinghy might be small and non-flashy, but it is mine."

I like that. Sometimes ownership is worth turning down some other benefit in favor of.

ScientistMother said...

that sounds adrift...i'm so sorry. Hopefully something will show up to give you some sort of direction...

Cath@VWXYNot? said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chall said...

FrauTech>yes. In this case, I'm not sure there is a benefit but I agree completely abuot "owning your own". It's safer if nothing else.

SM> yes, I hope so. If nothing else - I will learn the star method again and navigate in the night...

Cath> Thanks for the thoughts. I just needed to vent somewhere and I can't do it at work nor to my f&f across the world. Don't want to worry them. But sometimes it's just a bit much.

chall said...

cath> blogger messed up and threw me out half way. Sorry but your comment seem to have been a victim.

Just a lot of things converging and a bit stressful. I'll hope it will all be better soon.

unknown said...

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be towed, at least a little of the way, by a luxurious yacht.

Just remember leaks are only temporary!

chall said...

Girlpostdoc> thanks for the support on towing. although, no yacht in sight now...

I'll look to stop the leak, temporary I can deal with.

microbiologist xx said...

Sounds like you are going through some tough times. I hope conditions improve soon.

chall said...

MXX: thanks. eventually this too will pass.

(as a very kind and clever person told me earlier in my life)