Friday, April 17, 2009

Biological sciences and/or pharma next?

The story "Tech Recruiting Clashes with Immigration Rules" by Matt Richtel in the NYT clearly writes about a problem on the horizon (or something that is already here rather...). “Jobs for nonimmigrants only” [my own title of the main problem]. In pressed times more than others. And no, it is not only in the States this is happening. My own native country is probably doing the same thing (although the government actually made it easier to get a visa if you have a job now…. Then again, getting a job at the moment is not really possible with unemployment up to 10% over all. And more than 30% in the sector people aged 19-28 yrs….)

While it could be said that Mr. Mavinkurve’s case is one of a self-entitled immigrant refusing to live in the United States because his wife would not be able to work, he exemplifies how immigration policies can chase away a potential entrepreneur who aspires to create wealth and jobs here. His case highlights the technology industry’s argument that the United States will struggle to compete if it cannot more easily hire foreign-born engineers.

*this guy, Mavinkurve, did high school and all his uni studies in US. At Harvard and has a master. But of course, he was here on a student visa so he is not a citizen.

From the article again in regards to H1B visas (skilled peoples’ visa): “The limit was raised twice as the technology sector boomed, to 115,000 in 1999 and to 195,000 in 2001. But those temporary increases were not renewed for 2004, and the number of H-1B visas reverted to 65,000. (There are an additional 20,000 H1-B’s for people with graduate degrees from American universities.) Since 2004, there has been a growing gap between the number of H-1B visas sought and those granted, through a lottery. In 2008, companies made 163,000 applications for the 65,000 slots. Google applied for 300 of them; 90 were denied. “

And people wonder why I am nervous when my present visa runs out?!

“Many innovators in Silicon Valley come from overseas; 42 percent of engineers with master’s degrees and 60 percent of those with engineering Ph.D.’s in the United States are foreign-born.

I guess it isn’t until page four I get my “you are an immigrant in my country scare” by the interview with Mr Berry.

“Mr. Mavinkurve and his wife get little sympathy from Mr. Berry of the Programmers Guild, a nonprofit group with a volunteer staff that lobbies Congress on behalf of American-born high-tech workers. To Mr. Berry, 50 — who lives in Sacramento, where he was born — it is unfathomable that Google, which receives one million résumés a year, cannot find enough qualified Americans. Further, he says immigrants depress wages. By law, H-1B workers must be paid prevailing wages, but there are conflicting studies on whether some employers actually pay less when they control the fate of the sponsored workers. Even some of the supporters of allowing in more skilled immigrants say the H-1B system is flawed because it gives employers so much power over employees.

And from there we move into the real issue here. Mr Berry’s fear about his children, because as we all know… in the darkest hour we turn to ourselves and look out for us, not them or you. And, not to forget, we need to go with the generalization that “they” wouldn’t be as good as “we” at doing our job. When in reality, maybe there are more things to it than “they” and “we”, and nothing good will come out of debating us vs them, imho.

“Mr. Berry says his skills and education are denigrated by an industry that asserts that the best talent comes from overseas, via Ivy League schools[Personally I wonder if Mr Berry thinks these unis take on useless students out of the goodness in their hearts?? See, I thought they sifted out the best ones? I might be naïve but seriously....]. He worries about the employability of his children, who are studying engineering at top colleges, the University of Southern California and California Polytechnic State University. ...//… He does not believe that skilled immigrants are essential to innovation. In fact, he argues the opposite. “In my experience,” he said, “foreign software programmers are less likely to step out of the box and present alternatives to management.”

And of course the Republican Senator Jeff Sessions, from Alabama agrees with him and is opposing temporary work visas (H1B for example). I might need to state the Sessions agree with broader immigrant allowances, with aptitude test etc, but he still disagrees with the temporary visas. “….he argues have incentive to work for less and return to their countries to share what they have learned. This puts him at odds with tech companies.”

I don’t know if there is any stats about the post doc community, citizenship and salary… I have my thoughts on the matter but I might be wrong. Anyone knows any study? And it will be interesting the next couple of years when I think we will see what happens with the graduate students and post docs (and the work they/we are doing) when the visas get even fewer and harder to pass… I really hope all the American students will rush to fill the void since we evil foreigners are filling their places and taking their money. Or maybe we were actually doing something good?!?!

With that, I need to go back to my “cushion job where I just gush in money and don’t spend any time in lab at all” . Duh.

8 comments:

Professor in Training said...

I had read that NYT article and forgot to send it to you. People like Senator Sessions forget that there are different types of temporary work visas and that the H-1B is the bridge to permanent residency because it's tied into the PR process whereas there are other visas like the J-1 which are supposedly "work here and then go home and promote world peace" visas.

If you're planning to stay and work at a university, you're exempt from the H-1B visa limits so don't panic just yet!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

This kind of thing makes me so mad. Immigration is KEY to innovation. You'd think countries like the USA and Canada, built on immigration, would realise this.

It's really just racism wrapped up in more socially acceptable language. More than one Canadian has complained about "immigration / immigrants taking Canadian jobs" in my presence and, when I've objected, said "Oh I don't mean you, you're, well, um, you, um, speak English".

chall said...

PiT> what I find "funny" is that it is so much easier to get a J1 than a H1B. (I'm on a J1 at the moent). After all, J1 is definetly the "go here for a short while and get knowledge".

I am kind of silly hoping for the diversity lottery this year ;) [some people get visas and even if my track record in winning anything is very bad I still have to have hope]

Cath> Yes, i can relate to that. It's always "well, not you since you can speak English and are well educated"... "and you are nice" well duh.

I find the discussion in regards to "who is real american" scary [as discussed at propter doc/yfs/PiT/other places].

When it comes to immigration there are plenty of people who kind of assumed that I as an immigrant don't pay taxes and still would get all these "benefits" (magically....). When I have explained two key points (imho); first, I pay everything a "proper American pays" but I can't get ss or unemployment benefits or anything since I am out of the country 30 days after I get laid off/fired... Second, I come from a place with better benefits so if I was "benefits shopping country" I would just go back to my own country and stay there. Then we can talk a bit about it until it goes to "you don't want to become American citizen" where I get a bit baffled and don't know what I want.... [not just yet, and I don't think I would ever give up my first citizenship]

Now, it isn't always that easy....

Professor in Training said...

I know someone who got a green card through the lottery so it's not unheard of.

And while the H-1B takes longer to process, is (theoretically) more difficult to get and is more expensive, if you have an international office at your institution, they'll do most of the work for you. I had to get my PhD officially recognized as being at least equivalent to a US PhD (filled in a form, sent certified copies of my degree and a check, waited for 2 weeks for the letter), fill out one page of paperwork and write a check to the US government for a couple of hundred dollars. Then just sat back and waited for it to come through about 6 months later. And you can do all of this while you're on your J-1 here. Once you have the approval notice, getting the entry/re-entry visa is straightforward ... unless the consulate loses your paperwork just days before you need to fly back to the US.

chall said...

PiT> that's fun to hear. I don't hope in total vain then ;)

My institute has become slightly cranky on the "transition to H1b" the last couple of years. Strange as it may be but... I will look into it more this summer (after I find out I'm not the winner) and see if they can help out with it... might be a bit better to move on it before I start looking for my next job...

Professor in Training said...

Definitely look into your options a long time before you think you'll be moving on otherwise you might be stuck at your current job until the approval notice comes in for your new job (~6mths). Once you're in H-1B status, it is easily transferable/portable between institutions - it takes a couple of weeks as you only have to wait for receipt of the application rather than waiting for the actual approval notice (a couple of months if you pay the expedited fee, otherwise a lot of months). That being said though, if you're considering an industry position, you'll need to look into that NOW because I don't know if you can transfer the H-1B from a university to a company (probably not).

The H-1B means more paperwork and more commitment for the university (eg if they fire you, they have to pay for your flight home) and it costs them more than a J-1. Keeping people on J-1 visas is an easier option for them. That being said though, you can't apply for some small grants unless you have at least a H-1B.

scatterplot said...

It's been a while since I read this: http://postdoc.sigmaxi.org but if I recall correctly it does say that non-citizen postdocs earn less and work longer hours than US citizen postdocs. 195000 down to 65000, that's got to hurt!

Joseph said...

I went through this (demoralizing and awful) process as well. It's hard to explain to others just have much it wears on you when everything is temporary. Lose your job and you have to leave the entire country to start over.

Very bad memories. Ironically, I got my Green card after giving up and making plans to leave because the deadlines were such that it looked hopeless (it came in the last 2 weeks possible).

I am hoping that both you and PiT have a much easier time of it!!